Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 04:29 AM

97 posts, read 89,432 times

Advertisements

My tulips are not growing much. One of them has grown slowly (I can see the flower) and my other two have not grown at all since January 5. It won’t let me upload a photo. What could be a reason for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 06:07 AM

42 posts, read 23,567 times
It's January, the middle of winter, that's why.

I don't know where you live, but where I live, NW Ohio, I wouldn't expect them to see the light of day until May, at the earliest.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Here in Sammamish, WA they normally will not pop up at all until about now or February, and bloom in April.
This year some are already a few inches high due to it being an unusually warm winter, but still not near having flower buds. If you are in a warmer climate and they are closer to blooming but are not progressing well, it could be that they need feeding. If you didn't give them a balanced slow-release fertilizer such as 9-9-6 when planting, I would suggest watering now with something like Miracle-Gro, with just 2-3 applications over the next few weeks.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:14 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfire View Post
My tulips are not growing much. One of them has grown slowly (I can see the flower) and my other two have not grown at all since January 5. It won’t let me upload a photo. What could be a reason for it?
It would be helpful if you would state your location and the type of tulips you have. Are they late winter, early spring, mid spring, late spring or early summer tulips?

Assuming you live in the northern hemisphere, it's still the middle of winter and you don't have enough hours of daylight yet. Even if it was quite warm wherever you are, tulips still need a certain number of hours of daily natural light every day, with progressively increasing light each day before they will be ready to bloom.

Because sunlight is a type of essential food for all plants. So just hang in there and wait for the daily daylight hours to get longer. You should see some more rapid growth in vegetation and height starting in another couple of weeks if you're in a warmer location.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 PM

42 posts, read 23,567 times
It could also be moles. If you attracted moles into the neighborhood with those mole-delicious tulip bulbs, your neighbors might hate you for a few years.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 PM

97 posts, read 89,432 times
They are in a pot indoors so the winter cold is not an issue, but Zoisite made a good point; it could be the daylight hours.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
They are in a pot indoors so the winter cold is not an issue, but Zoisite made a good point; it could be the daylight hours.
Put the pot of tulips directly in a south facing window (if you can) and also provide them with some additional artificial light from a lamp for 4 hours a day after sunset. They won't get natural sunlight energy/nourishment from artificial light but their photo receptors will still react to the artificial light and encourage them to actively continue to grow while the light is shining on them.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:49 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
It's because this site is stupid.
The people that are on it, are a wonderful bunch, but the site itself? Stupid.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:09 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
It's because this site is stupid.
The people that are on it, are a wonderful bunch, but the site itself? Stupid.
OK, that's ridiculous (and rather rude as well). I upload photos all the time into albums in my profile, then I simply copy and paste them into my posts. This works EVERY TIME and it takes about 10 seconds to do.

The OP didn't say why the uploading didn't work; I suspect she just didn't realize how easy it is to create an album and add photos to it. Again, I do this ALL THE TIME and it works great.

(And I think the OP was asking why her TULIPS aren't growing -- not why she couldn't upload a photo!)

To the OP re: tulips: I am jealous of anyone who gets them to work! The first year I created gardens (2015), I planted about 100 bulbs ... maybe 10 came up. They were SUPPOSED to be perennials, but the next year, TWO came up. So 2 out of 100. I was bummed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden