Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 05:19 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times

Advertisements

I planted some apple seeds back in 2016 and now 5 years later they are young trees that I just noticed today some flower buds appearing. I am so thrilled.

Not sure if they will produce fruit though because I read that you need another variety of apple tree to cross pollinate with. I also do not know what variety they are because apparently apples do not grow true to seed. Hopefully it will be an edible type and not crab apples. I will provide updates.
Attached Thumbnails
My apple trees I planted from seeds are finally flowering!-ec44bce3-1f1c-4d70-83a1-0cbe6ea5c0d4.jpeg  

Last edited by antinimby; 04-13-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 05:25 PM

765 posts, read 622,132 times
Great! Hopefully you get some nice apples out of it, as well as the pretty flowers.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:35 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Thanks. It is so much more satisfying when you grow them from seed versus buying a tree from a nursery, dig a hole, put the in tree and fill in the hole.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:57 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Thanks. It is so much more satisfying when you grow them from seed versus buying a tree from a nursery, dig a hole, put the in tree and fill in the hole.
Meh. I am much happier with a tree that lives after I plant it! No desire to wait for something to grow from seed. But good luck with your trees.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:03 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,902 times
Nice old school way to grow them if you have the patience.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I too, enjoy seeing something grow from seeds I plant. I'm always trying (and failing) to grow red bud trees from seeds, and just yesterday, stuck a seed in pot, that I think is off our cherry tree. If it sprouts, I'm happy. If it doesn't, well, no harm, no foul.

I'll be going to the nursery sometime soon and buying flowers...but I also planted some morning glory and petunia seeds, that have sprouted...and it's fun to watch them grow.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
Quote:
I planted some apple seeds back in 2016 and now 5 years later they are young trees that I just noticed today some flower buds appearing. I am so thrilled.
How cool!

This guy thinks more people should do the same as you did for the sake of diversity. Sorry, I can't remember the exact spot of the video where he says that or I would have bookmarked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPP4Ilpxso

Old 04-15-2021, 10:18 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:

Not sure if they will produce fruit though because I read that you need another variety of apple tree to cross pollinate with. I also do not know what variety they are because apparently apples do not grow true to seed. Hopefully it will be an edible type and not crab apples. I will provide updates.
No they don't.

You might get dessert apples and/or you might get pie apples and/or you might get cider/vinegar apples.

Tart apples ARE edible, just not right off the tree.

I suspect with their mixed heritage, pollination will occur.

And please, do keep us updated. Other than apple breeders, almost no one does this anymore, I think it is great you are willing to devote the time and energy to do it!

Old 04-15-2021, 11:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
How cool!

This guy thinks more people should do the same as you did for the sake of diversity. Sorry, I can't remember the exact spot of the video where he says that or I would have bookmarked it.
About 35 minutes in is where he specifically mentions it, but really, the entire video is about the ecological and economic benefits of diversity.

Alley cropping is a permaculture technique. Mark Shepard literally wrote the book on how to convert mono cropped farms into permaculture farms while still producing an income. https://www.forestag.com/pages/mark-shepard

Old 04-15-2021, 09:21 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
About 35 minutes in is where he specifically mentions it, but really, the entire video is about the ecological and economic benefits of diversity.

Alley cropping is a permaculture technique. Mark Shepard literally wrote the book on how to convert mono cropped farms into permaculture farms while still producing an income. https://www.forestag.com/pages/mark-shepard
Thank you for that link! I like those prices. If all goes as planned, I will be planting lots of fruit and nut trees next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden