Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 04:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

....... The tree went straight up in the air. The explosion was so loud that one of the neighbors from an adjoining acreage came running over because he thought a plane crashed. Good times.
LOL. That reminds me of the time my dad and a couple of neighbouring farmers had to blow up a really big beaver dam that was causing the road and all the nearby crop fields and dairy cow pasturage in our small valley to get flooded out. They placed the explosives in 3 equidistant locations along the dam and when it exploded the entire dam from end to end went straight up high in the air way above all the tall tree tops.

The debris seemed to just hang there in the air for a few moments before it all came raining down everywhere in all directions. Holy crow! what a lot of mud and branches and messy debris there was to clean up once it all drained and dried out.

Anyway, the explosion was so loud and forceful the whole valley shook from it and somebody else who lived far up the hillside and didn't know they were blowing the beaver dam down in the valley also thought a big plane must have crashed and he called the RCMP to come quick. Yeah, good times back in 60's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 05:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
If the stump is 2 feet or lower OP can pile up dirt on top and make a mound and plant with flowers. Over a few years the stump will decompose but in the meantime will look nice. Daylilies would be a good choice,take no work and are perennials. Iris also like to be planted slightly high.

Some trees have suckers at bottom you just need to cut them off or in 10 years you'd have another tree to cut down.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:49 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Forget the stump remover powder unless you get that BarcaLounger and several cases of beer, to put next to it. It will take a while for it to decompose depending upon what kind if tree.

Rent a stump grinder. They will show you how to use it.
I can't use a stump grinder on mine. Gas line is underneath.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:34 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I just had twenty stumps ground for $1,500. Most were from my ash trees that died because of the emerald ash borer. They did range in size from half a foot to two+ feet in diameter. But I really liked the way the company cleaned up the stumps, I can mow over most of them now without fear of hitting wood. They raked and leveled the ground after they were done.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:17 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
You don't need to pay $300 to have the stump removed.
Buy a small electric chainsaw for about $60 or rent one with which to cut off the top of the stump flush to the ground.
They are not heavy.
The reduced surface can hold a flower pot or plant a shrub to obscure the view of the stump surface.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:42 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
You don't need to pay $300 to have the stump removed.
Buy a small electric chainsaw for about $60 or rent one with which to cut off the top of the stump flush to the ground.
They are not heavy.
The reduced surface can hold a flower pot or plant a shrub to obscure the view of the stump surface.
^^^This!

I put a bird bath on top of one of mine. When I had the tree cut down, I asked the tree people to cut it as flush to the grade as possible. It's now only about two inches tall. It wasn't in an area where it could be ground out. I did have holes drilled in it and put stump killer in there. It's definitely dead but not rotting just yet. It hasn't been very long.

The other one is nearly part of a dry stacked mossrock retaining wall so couldn't be ground out if I wanted to, unless one dismantled the wall, which will never happen on my watch. I had them make it the height of a step which has worked out really well. I can easily step up on the raised bed that is contained by the rock wall. Plus the dog thinks she's tall when she sits on it to enjoy the view (she's very short so every bit helps). I hit it with stump killer too but it's recent so not rotted out, yet.

I've had stumps ground out in the past and it's worked just fine in the right location.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
The woman who used to live in the house next to me had a tree cut down and for some reason she didn't have the stump ground out. She could have afforded it. Instead she decide to put a birdfeeder on it. She then had her landscaper plant some bushes around the birdfeeder. She then had marble chips placed around the area. It cost her more than the stump grinding would have cost. It ended up looking like a grave. It has been about 15 years and new neighbors are in the house. The birdfeeder is gone. The stump has likely rotted away. The bushes haven't been trimmed in years and the marble chips are overgrown with weeds.

Have the stumps ground or let them rot.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:38 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
If you know someone good with a chainsaw you can carve out a seat or a bear or something. :-)

Old 04-25-2021, 07:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
If you know someone good with a chainsaw you can carve out a seat or a bear or something. :-)
I worked in a state park, and one of the campsites had a stump carved into a chair. It was really comfortable. I don't know if OP wants to sit on a stump chair in his yard.

My vote is stump grinder.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Drill it full of different sizes of holes all over around the the sides to make it into a shared apartment building for ladybugs or mason bees. They are both great pollinating species that you should encourage in your garden and stumps full of holes are very attractive to them to hole up in for the winter and/or to lay their eggs in.

Pictures of the best and weirdest things you can do with a tree stump:
https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/th...ee-stump-51341

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden