Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 07:06 AM

142 posts, read 200,289 times

Advertisements

Wow, I need to get busy! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 09:26 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
You all helped me so much in this thread and spurred me to do further reading as well.

Last Mother's Day my son brought me a lovely potted orchid full of blossoms. I felt apprehensive about even keeping it alive. But thanks to your help and others online I followed directions, repotted, pruned and had a (single) blossom this week right in the doldrums of February. What a nice picker-upper!

Now the rest. New young cat was quite interested and maybe a little jealous of all the "oohing and "aahing" over our new prize and hopped up on the counter while my hands were busy and snipped the pretty little bloom clean off with her teeth! Wouldn't you know?

Orchid is now in a rose bowl on the stove. LOL

Guess we'll see what happens next. Will it bloom again? Will Little Miss Cat have learned her manners by that time?

Old 02-08-2022, 12:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You all helped me so much in this thread and spurred me to do further reading as well.

Last Mother's Day my son brought me a lovely potted orchid full of blossoms. I felt apprehensive about even keeping it alive. But thanks to your help and others online I followed directions, repotted, pruned and had a (single) blossom this week right in the doldrums of February. What a nice picker-upper!

Now the rest. New young cat was quite interested and maybe a little jealous of all the "oohing and "aahing" over our new prize and hopped up on the counter while my hands were busy and snipped the pretty little bloom clean off with her teeth! Wouldn't you know?

Orchid is now in a rose bowl on the stove. LOL

Guess we'll see what happens next. Will it bloom again? Will Little Miss Cat have learned her manners by that time?
LOL. Silly cat. Ever heard the expression "Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back"? I hope your cat is satisfied now.

As to whether or not it will bloom again, if you are keeping it alive and healthy then yes it will bloom again. As to whether or not it will bloom again this year, that depends on what species of orchid it is. Do you know what kind of orchid it is?

Old 02-08-2022, 05:39 PM

I'm so glad you are getting a lot of information here, so am I!

I also have 3 cats and have done my best to train them not to get on my plants. Thanksgiving cacti used to be my worst problem. My cactus once had a piece bitten off on every stem. Latest thing to happen was my youngest cat knocked the whole orchid off on the floor, but it didn't damage it.

It takes time to train your cats to stay off your plants so just keep at it. Younger cats are the worst!

Old 02-09-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. Silly cat. Ever heard the expression "Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back"? I hope your cat is satisfied now.

As to whether or not it will bloom again, if you are keeping it alive and healthy then yes it will bloom again. As to whether or not it will bloom again this year, that depends on what species of orchid it is. Do you know what kind of orchid it is?

I hadn't heard the satisfaction part of the saying, Zoisite. But DH quotes the first part of it to Miss Kitty often.

They are a pair and it's like having toddlers in the house.

I don't know how they manage to zero in on the things you care most about when they are in one of those moods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslane View Post
I'm so glad you are getting a lot of information here, so am I!

I also have 3 cats and have done my best to train them not to get on my plants. Thanksgiving cacti used to be my worst problem. My cactus once had a piece bitten off on every stem. Latest thing to happen was my youngest cat knocked the whole orchid off on the floor, but it didn't damage it.

It takes time to train your cats to stay off your plants so just keep at it. Younger cats are the worst!
Don't I know it! I had cats who loved to rub against my cacti. Even their faces. Daughter's having quite a time right now with a new stray who isn't daunted by tin foil or chicken wire in using her plants as a potty.

These two have killed my young Christmas cactus and a couple of succulents. Chalk it up to part of the process.

I'm insistent about not raising my voice, giving treats or swatting so it's a tedious process to do it that way. It's just say, "No" and put down. Repeat. Until sheer repetition thwarts them.

And I know darned well that the manners only apply as long as I am in the room. LOL.

We once had a good cat for nineteen years who was not allowed on the dining room table and past a certain age I never once saw her there. But in the morning there'd be a small circle of black hair in the middle of the table. Cats!

Old 06-14-2022, 10:17 AM

An update on my year-old orchid with continued thanks for the help and courage to try I got from you here.

It's been resting since my last post but now has undergone a growth spurt and is making buds along its new stem.
It's a little exciting for me as I never thought I would be able to grow such an exotic plant.

Have to say that for most of the year I don't find the orchid to be an appealing plant with its floppy leaves. odd proportions and goofy air roots. But, oh my, when those blooms appear!

I see I didn't answer your question, Zoisite. I believe it is a moth orchid, the first one listed on this page. That's what it looks like and it says it is an easy one for beginners to grow. https://www.thespruce.com/orchid-identification-1315976

Little Miss Kitten is a teenager now and has learned that snipping blooms with her teeth is frowned upon.

Again, smiling at you all with thanks!

Old 06-17-2022, 06:49 PM

Congratulations on your new buds! I had luck with 2 of mine this year, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden