Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I've been adding various material to the bottom of my planting areas, both in-ground and in large pots. In the bottom I'll put cut up sticks from cut-off branches along with some straw, pulled weeds, leaves and grass from mowing. Makes my purchased bags of potting mix go twice as far.

The term for making these raised beds with layers that decompose into great soil is "hugelkultur" and it's been done for thousands of years. Great way to recycle material and I like knowing it came from my yard with no weedkiller in/on it.

Here's visual for it: https://atraditionallife.com/buildin...r-garden-beds/
i mentioned hugelkulture in the first post. have you tried it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 04:59 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I've tried it. But instead of permabeds, I have been using a modified hugelkultur to fill grow bags. As twinkletwinkle22 said, I put down a layer of small twigs, then cut up turf/lawn (no chemicals added) lawnmower cuttings, then compost, then raised bed soil topped by a new layer of compost mixed with time-release fertilizer. This is my first year of trying this, but, so far, all the plants seem very lush and vigorous after two to three months in the bags. It's definitely cheaper than filling the bags entirely with raised bed and potting soil mixes.

I have not had much success with compost piles in the past. They never seemed to break down, no matter how much I researched and studied online tutorials on how to successfully compost. However, I have buried kitchen veg and fruit scraps in holes around my garden for the past ten years. It takes a year or so, but buried kitchen scraps have worked well for me in my in-ground garden beds. This is my first year of experimenting with raised beds and grow bags and applied compost on top. I am also experimenting with green manure crops that are chopped and troweled into the soil.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I've tried it. But instead of permabeds, I have been using a modified hugelkultur to fill grow bags. As twinkletwinkle22 said, I put down a layer of small twigs, then cut up turf/lawn (no chemicals added) lawnmower cuttings, then compost, then raised bed soil topped by a new layer of compost mixed with time-release fertilizer. This is my first year of trying this, but, so far, all the plants seem very lush and vigorous after two to three months in the bags. It's definitely cheaper than filling the bags entirely with raised bed and potting soil mixes.

I have not had much success with compost piles in the past. They never seemed to break down, no matter how much I researched and studied online tutorials on how to successfully compost. However, I have buried kitchen veg and fruit scraps in holes around my garden for the past ten years. It takes a year or so, but buried kitchen scraps have worked well for me in my in-ground garden beds. This is my first year of experimenting with raised beds and grow bags and applied compost on top. I am also experimenting with green manure crops that are chopped and troweled into the soil.
cool. maybe you can post some pictures later in the season.

my experience with compost piles is similar to yours. mine is mostly leaves and cut grass, and it just doesn't want to decompose.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:24 AM

83,508 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I have not had much success with compost piles in the past. They never seemed to break down, no matter how much I researched and studied online tutorials on how to successfully compost..
Not sure why. I have mine in mostly a shaded area and it breaks down. I don't add any compounds that helps break it down. Just does on its own. Did you turn it? Does it get hot or humid enough there? Did you add a nice blend of greens and browns?

Within 9 months mine breaks down to a pile of Black Gold

Spoiler

Old 05-28-2022, 12:00 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I use hugelkultur-lite because I don't have large logs or room to make large mounds.
I try and recycle my plant waste into my yard instead of bagging it up and sending it to landfill.
In the fall I use the lawnmower to vaccuum up leaves and spread them on the garden, later that gets topped with straw.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
I was at WMT superstore weeks ago,check out their garden dept,I bought some soil,some flower pots and some cactus plants,they are cheaper than HD

Old 05-28-2022, 04:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 7,162,976 times
Exactly. You get what you pay for.

If you want to save money, definitely join Costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If you’re growing things for food, spend more for safer, organic stuff. Many of the cheap stuff uses wastes that have chemicals and other unhealthy stuff in it.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Exactly. You get what you pay for.

If you want to save money, definitely join Costco.
I saved money by quitting Costco.
Costco is not a wholesale club.
I just bought 1 lb of frozen shrimp for $4.49,large ones from Kroger.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:34 PM

7,492 posts, read 7,162,976 times
Regarding Costco, to each their own. You can definitely save money if you shop smart. Buying things that will perish or buy more than what you actually need is completely foolish.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:40 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure why. I have mine in mostly a shaded area and it breaks down. I don't add any compounds that helps break it down. Just does on its own. Did you turn it? Does it get hot or humid enough there? Did you add a nice blend of greens and browns?

Within 9 months mine breaks down to a pile of Black Gold
I toss it all upside down and over once a week with a pitchfork and make sure that water is added at least once a week to keep the pile moist but not damp. It does not get hot in that location. I use a compost thermometer and the temp never gets above 86 F no matter how hot the ambient temp. I don't think my ratio is enough brown to green (online sources seem to recommend 4 brown to 1 green, mine is more 2:1.) So I went to the city free compost dump and got a couple of buckets of their compost to add to my pile. I have avoided using the free city compost so far, because I don't know if it came from plants sprayed with herbicides and pesticides, but I hope that the city compost can rev up my compost pile. Nada so far over the past week, but I have hopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden