Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

I planted a row of these according to directions - the variety for full sun. Tag said they are the "mounding" type. However, each little plant has only 1 or two blossoms and I don't see any mounding happening. Should I snip the tip to make it push out more branches? Or, will it just mound on its own?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 PM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
I would pinch it back to procure more growth. Maybe try it on one or two and see what happens. I don't think it would do anything except promote more growth.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
I would pinch it back to procure more growth. Maybe try it on one or two and see what happens. I don't think it would do anything except promote more growth.
Thanks for your suggestion, Sarah. I looked at them yesterday, and see that there are many more shoots on the plant, with tiny buds, now that the plants are a bit bigger. I believe they are going to be OK. Just me, being impatient, I guess.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
If you'll pinch it back, it will keep it from getting too 'leggy' and will be a much prettier specimen. It also encourages more blooms because the plant will not go 'to seed.' At the end of the season, depending upon where you live, and where the vinca is planted, you can let them go to seed, and you should have quite a few volunteers the following year. I mulch them well in the late fall after they have died, and they re-seed come Spring for me.

Vincas are one of the few sun-lovers that can take drought as well, not requiring near as much water as a lot of other annuals here in NC.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
If you'll pinch it back, it will keep it from getting too 'leggy' and will be a much prettier specimen. It also encourages more blooms because the plant will not go 'to seed.' At the end of the season, depending upon where you live, and where the vinca is planted, you can let them go to seed, and you should have quite a few volunteers the following year. I mulch them well in the late fall after they have died, and they re-seed come Spring for me.

Vincas are one of the few sun-lovers that can take drought as well, not requiring near as much water as a lot of other annuals here in NC.
Thanks, RDSLOTS...I'll pinch them back and see how they do. They seem to be really taking off, and aren't too "leggy" yet. Speaking of letting things to to seed, I have lots of zinnias and cosmos that popped up on their own from last year's dropped seeds! Lovely, when that happens.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Speaking of letting things to to seed, I have lots of zinnias and cosmos that popped up on their own from last year's dropped seeds! Lovely, when that happens.
I have an annual bed in my side yard -- mostly what I call a cutting garden, and I was really surprised to see the number of zinnias coming up. Most pleased, too. Because of the drought here in NC, I had decided to forgo planting annuals this year. I am curious, now, to see what grows in that bed.

My vincas have always done very well around the driveway. They are actually the only thing that withstood the heat and could get by on little water last summer. They did so well until I decided to give them a try in the window boxes on the house. I think they make a lovely little bush with loads of blooms, and I love mixing the hot pink with the bright white.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
I always cut back my Vinca otherwise they do look rather straggly and weak. They seem to stay a deeper green when they grow in a more bushy manner as well. We keep ours year 'round so they need to be trimmed back a little in the spring and usually again mid summer. I love them though since they can take the heat - well over 100 sometimes in the summer - and still bloom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden