Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 AM

114 posts, read 849,833 times

Advertisements

Do bug zappers really make a difference in the amount of flying bugs in your yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
Do bug zappers really make a difference in the amount of flying bugs in your yard?
About as much good as killing fly's in a manure pile with a fly swatter.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 AM

114 posts, read 849,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
About as much good as killing fly's in a manure pile with a fly swatter.
iew. yeah. did a quick discussion search on the internet and well, seems like they are not as effective as i hoped.

thanks for the funny visual.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
bug zappers havent made much difference around here...
they only seem to be effective against moths...and since moths are beneficial polinators...not worth it...

the mosquito magnet however has made a huge difference in the number of skeeters in the garden (we can actually sit out on the patio and not get eaten alive..)
and the chickens take care of the flys...the chickens also love the dehydrated skeeters when we empty out the mosquito magnet lol.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
they only seem to be effective against moths...and since moths are beneficial polinators...not worth it...
That's it. Bug zappers zap bugs that are attracted to light (and are mostly harmless) like moths and ladybugs. Mosquitoes, bees, wasps, etc, are attracted by carbon dioxide or other chemicals.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
They may not be the most effective method of bug control but sometimes they sure are alot of fun to have around and listen/watch lol

Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
bug zappers havent made much difference around here...

the mosquito magnet however has made a huge difference in the number of skeeters in the garden (we can actually sit out on the patio and not get eaten alive..)
and the chickens take care of the flys...the chickens also love the dehydrated skeeters when we empty out the mosquito magnet lol.

What is the Mosquito Magnet? I'd love to have one.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
Mosquito Magnet® Traps - Built on Science, Service & Support! | MosquitoMagnet.com

we picked ours up used of craigslist, it needed a new propane tank (grill sized) and new nets and attractant.
you do need to pay attention to where you placing it for it to be as effective as possible...
we were very skeptical but im highly reactive to skeeter bites (i get sever swelling esepcially on joints) and it was cheap because it was mising the tank (yet it didnt cost much to pick up an extra grill tank lol)

the attractant isnt "cheap" and the unit does work without it belive it or not, but it certainly helps.

all in all weve had ours for 3 years now and wouldnt give it up for the world! the first year it took us some trial and error in placment, but once we got it in the right spot...i whent from literally 50+ bites a week, to mabe 5 bites a week and those bites were usually when i was working on the complete opposite side of our yard. (we have about 1/4 an acre and it covers MOSt of our yard we have the liberty which they dont market anymore...but i do se them on craigslist alot...people get the and dont take the time to get them properly placed and give up on them.

definatly worth the investment and i wil be getting one myself when i move.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Would second the Mosquito Magnet and think it maybe one of the best purchases we have ever made. Bought our Liberty model in 2002 and after learning that you shouldn't move it while it is running (or slamming it up and down) it has given us 7 or 8 years of continuous service without a bit of problem.

Customer service when needed early on was top-notch and they replaced our abused unit twice without hesitation (be nice to it and it will thank you). Sometimes it really does help to read the directions and care guide. Runs continuously day/night, rain or shine and goes through a 20# propane tank in about 5 weeks.

Live in a pretty wet rural area in East-Central Minnesota and it clears out the skeeters in a much bigger area than the 3/4 acre it is rated for. Requires little power to operate and maybe a half-dozen of the little CO2 cartridges to keep the tiny orifice that the propane runs through for periodic maintenance.

I would probably get the biggest unit they sell if I ever were going to have to replace ours.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
They really hlp when I use one on my patio in the summer time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden