Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 05:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am growing bell peppers (from seed... they are supposed to be orange) and now have a pretty large plant. I am wondering if it was a mistake to give the plant a tomato cage. Several of the very early peppers that are small and green have dropped off the plant, with or without their husk. They are just little sticky green balls at this point. Should I take the cage away and let the plant grow on the ground? Any other tips? It is growing close to a tomato plant.

Thanks for any help!
n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 05:31 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Peppers want to stand upright. You don't want them lying down; the fruit will not ripen properly and will get soft spots where it touches the ground. They need lots of sun. Is the plant being shaded by the tomato?

Tiny little fruits shriveling up or dropping off sounds to me like they aren't being pollinated. But I'm confused by the word "husk." Bell peppers don't start off in a husk, to my recollection. Do you mean remnants of the flower are clinging to them?

Old 08-10-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Peppers want to stand upright. You don't want them lying down; the fruit will not ripen properly and will get soft spots where it touches the ground. They need lots of sun. Is the plant being shaded by the tomato?

Tiny little fruits shriveling up or dropping off sounds to me like they aren't being pollinated. But I'm confused by the word "husk." Bell peppers don't start off in a husk, to my recollection. Do you mean remnants of the flower are clinging to them?
Here is a picture showing the early fruit and the pod on the right. Maybe husk is not the right word. They grow in these little lantern-looking things.

The fruit is not shriveled, it's very healthy, just not ripe at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with my bell pepper plants-pepper.jpg  

Old 08-10-2022, 06:00 PM

Oh crap. I think what grew where I planted my peppers is a tomatillo?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:07 PM

463 posts, read 286,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Oh crap. I think what grew where I planted my peppers is a tomatillo?
Was going to say they don't look like peppers. Did you grow peppers somewhere else?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Was going to say they don't look like peppers. Did you grow peppers somewhere else?
No, unfortunately, I planted pepper seeds in two places and the only one that germinated was a tomatillo! I'm in a community garden plot, so somebody must have left some tomatillo seeds behind or the seed company put the wrong seeds into the package I bought.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:12 PM

463 posts, read 286,129 times
Not sure where you are, but up here with our short growing season, I buy seedlings for my peppers and tomatoes.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Not sure where you are, but up here with our short growing season, I buy seedlings for my peppers and tomatoes.
That probably would have been a good idea. My tomatoes have grown very well from seed here in New Jersey. I started them in May and they have had a lot of sun.

I saw a technique somewhere on the web, where you put the seeds into a bag with a moist paper towel and then you see which of them germinate and you plant those, instead of just taking your chances and throwing several into a hole in the soil.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:42 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Heavy fruiting bell pepper plants do benefit from some sort of cage, I use concrete wire, it lasts forever.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:50 AM

4,863 posts, read 2,674,972 times
might be too late to grow much from seed this time of year in Jersey..but not for seedlings..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden