Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 10:43 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times

Advertisements

this tree was planted about 18 months ago. i've already cut one branch that was vigorously growing upward, and tied down a second one - which is still trying to grow upward.

but still the fastest growing branches want to reach for the sky. any ideas?

should i tie weights to the ends? cutting them off entirely doesn't seem like a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 11:24 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Play sad songs? Maybe make it watch Steel Magnolias.

Seriously.... you're cutting things off way too soon. It's a very small tree. They will grow straight up, because that's where the light is... until they become too long and heavy to hold their own weight and then they droop. Your tall ones are doing that. Don't tie them down, you're probably just stunting them.

Some of these early branches will need to be the strong tall branches that later branches branch off from. Let it be.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Play sad songs? Maybe make it watch Steel Magnolias.

Seriously.... you're cutting things off way too soon. It's a very small tree. They will grow straight up, because that's where the light is... until they become too long and heavy to hold their own weight and then they droop. Your tall ones are doing that. Don't tie them down, you're probably just stunting them.

Some of these early branches will need to be the strong tall branches that later branches branch off from. Let it be.
are you sure they'll droop downward when they get heavier? i have no experience with these trees, so i've never seen them go thu a non-weeping phase.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
are you sure they'll droop downward when they get heavier? i have no experience with these trees, so i've never seen them go thu a non-weeping phase.

Look at it. I can tell it's going to weep. You have a lot of new growth there on those skinny tall branches, and they're starting to bend. As they keep growing longer, or get side branches, yes, they'll droop.

Here's a mature weeping cherry. Look at the structure.... First of all, many branches had to grow UP to give the tree it's shape.... but the long weeping branches are very very long. They have to grow long to weep like that.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Because the weeping variety is more subject to diseases, the weeping cherry trees are "created" by grafting weeping stock onto a more hardy variety of cherry tree at about 4-5' tall. Some are even grafted onto hardier root stock, so the branches are a 3rd variety. If you inspect the crown, you may find that one or more of the branches is not grafted, but a sprout from below the grafts. That/those will not weep, but will take on the upright habit of the "mother" tree and should be cut off flush. If you tie those down they will loop back up. If they are grafted branches, then someone may have taken the wrong stock when they did the graft or they just reverted.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:02 PM

The one you tied down is trying to grow up again.... Untie it. That's what it needs to do.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The one you tied down is trying to grow up again.... Untie it. That's what it needs to do.
yeah, i already made note of that. will do. i guess it will just have to go through its non-weeping phase. thanks for the advice.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:54 PM

It's not non-weeping.... those tall branches ARE weeping. If that were a normal tree, I'd be very concerned about how droopy they are.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:14 PM

well, now i feel like an idiot for having pruned off a perfectly good small branch - but on the plus side, i know better now

Old 08-26-2022, 03:13 PM

157 posts, read 110,108 times
Hurt it until it does cry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden