Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 01:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times

Advertisements

I knew a woman many, many years ago who used to take the coffee grinds, veggie and fruit peelings, eggshells, etc., and put them directly into the soil in her garden beds. She would turn over a shovel full of soil and just toss in the bits and cover them with the upturned soil. Do you or anyone else you know do this? Is it advisable? I do not want to draw roaches and rats to my garden beds.

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 09-26-2022 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 01:39 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I know a woman many, many years ago who used to take the coffee grinds, veggie and fruit peelings, eggshells, etc., and put them directly into the soil in her garden beds. She would turn over a shovel full of soil and just toss in the bits and cover them with the upturned soil. Do you or anyone else you know do this? Is it advisable? I do not want to draw roaches and rats to my garden beds.
I imagine you could attract rats and other critter putting that stuff directly into the soil. Better idea is to compost it, then mix your compost into the garden soils.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:48 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Your soil chemistry, microbiome, and temperature will affect this a lot! Soil is extremely local!

Old 09-26-2022, 03:28 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
I put table scraps in my worm bed. Yard cats will make sort work of any rats that show up. You can't put a better redworm on your hook than one that's been eating coffee grounds.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:55 PM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
A lot of people do this. I suppose it does work in the long run. I have lots of room, so have a compost pile at the back of the yard where I mix that stuff with leaves grass clippings, manure etc. The skunks and raccoons do dig around in it a bit. They gotta eat too....lol

Old 09-26-2022, 04:09 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times
^^^ I would be happy to have a compost pile if it could be about half a mile from my house. I do not want one in my backyard, though.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
I knew a woman many, many years ago who used to take the coffee grinds, veggie and fruit peelings, eggshells, etc., and put them directly into the soil in her garden beds. She would turn over a shovel full of soil and just toss in the bits and cover them with the upturned soil. Do you or anyone else you know do this? Is it advisable? I do not want to draw roaches and rats to my garden beds.
That method isn't very effective but I wouldn't do it anyway just because of all the wildlife we have where I live. Kitchen waste will attract skunks, squirrels, possums, rats and other rodents as well as dogs, coyotes, a variety of bigger birds and insects that will dig up and scatter the kitchen waste disposed of in the garden beds ...... and then they will also turn their attentions to the PLANTS you have growing there. It's just not worth the decimation that wildlife of all sorts can cause to garden beds when they discover you've turned the beds into a garbage dump for household kitchen waste. It's better to start a proper compost pile and dispose of your kitchen waste into that for it to compost efficiently. The plants will benefit more from the composted material you add to the gardens and you won't get all those critters digging it up.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
^^^ I would be happy to have a compost pile if it could be about half a mile from my house. I do not want one in my backyard, though.
Find a local community pile and contribute to it.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That method isn't very effective but I wouldn't do it anyway just because of all the wildlife we have where I live. Kitchen waste will attract skunks, squirrels, possums, rats and other rodents as well as dogs, coyotes, a variety of bigger birds and insects that will dig up and scatter the kitchen waste disposed of in the garden beds ...... and then they will also turn their attentions to the PLANTS you have growing there. It's just not worth the decimation that wildlife of all sorts can cause to garden beds when they discover you've turned the beds into a garbage dump for household kitchen waste. It's better to start a proper compost pile and dispose of your kitchen waste into that for it to compost efficiently. The plants will benefit more from the composted material you add to the gardens and you won't get all those critters digging it up.

And consider the neighbors. You may not mind visiting critters OP but your neighbors may NOT!

Old 09-26-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Your neighbors may not want a pile in your backyard either. Especially a poorly managed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden