Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 05:50 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,212,297 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are disagreeing about this. It has been weeks and it may be more weeks before any rain. I think I need to water the lawn. She thinks I need to let it go dormant. Some spots appear to be dying for some water. The temperature here in NW Arkansas are starting to get into the mid 40's for the lows and the highs are upper 70's to low 80's. It is bermuda grass.

Should I water or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 07:14 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
It certainly won't hurt, and might even will help. But it'll be dormant in two or three weeks anyway. I have zoysia and it's essentially quit growing but is still green, but it looks a bit tired. We've not had rain in a couple of weeks and I don't plan to water any more this season.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
You should water. Even in the dead of Winter, you should water. Just because grass becomes "dormant," does not mean it does not need water. I totally disagree with your wife on this.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:03 PM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
You both are right. You can water it to keep it green or you can not water it, let it go dormant, and become green again with the next rain. Grass will not die unless it goes months without water.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My wife and I are disagreeing about this. It has been weeks and it may be more weeks before any rain. I think I need to water the lawn. She thinks I need to let it go dormant. Some spots appear to be dying for some water. The temperature here in NW Arkansas are starting to get into the mid 40's for the lows and the highs are upper 70's to low 80's. It is bermuda grass.

Should I water or not?
Are you finding any dew / condensation on vegetation or vehicles outside? If you're finding early evening or morning dew on things then you don't need to water the grass if it's on it's way to going dormant anyway. Dew means there is still humidity and other moisture available in the ground and in the air and the plants and roots are utilizing it to suit their needs.

If your property is tinder bone dry, there's no humidity and the air is full of static electricity and dust, and there's absolutely no dew or dampness felt in the air at night and early morning then go for it and apply water at least once. It wouldn't hurt for you to give everything a good overnight misting for 4 or 5 hours once every 7 - 10 days until most plants have for sure gone dormant. Then stop for winter.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
You should water. Even in the dead of Winter, you should water. Just because grass becomes "dormant," does not mean it does not need water. I totally disagree with your wife on this.
In this part of the country, and NW Arkansas and north Alabama are similar, we don't need to water in the winter since it rains so much. And, evaporation rates are much less in the winter so the ground stays soggy for the most part. First frost will likely be in mid-October so the grass will turn brown or white and stop growing until temps warm in the spring.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Are you finding any dew / condensation on vegetation or vehicles outside? If you're finding early evening or morning dew on things then you don't need to water the grass if it's on it's way to going dormant anyway. Dew means there is still humidity and other moisture available in the ground and in the air and the plants and roots are utilizing it to suit their needs.

If your property is tinder bone dry, there's no humidity and the air is full of static electricity and dust, and there's absolutely no dew or dampness felt in the air at night and early morning then go for it and apply water at least once. It wouldn't hurt for you to give everything a good overnight misting for 4 or 5 hours once every 7 - 10 days until most plants have for sure gone dormant. Then stop for winter.

There is very little dew in the mornings, but it has been windy. It is dry enough that the deer are draining my birdbaths at night.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:00 AM

I ended up just watering the worse looking areas.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:32 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
Quote:
I ended up just watering the worse looking areas.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Should I water or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It certainly won't hurt, and might even will help. But it'll be dormant in two or three weeks anyway. I have zoysia and it's essentially quit growing but is still green, but it looks a bit tired. We've not had rain in a couple of weeks and I don't plan to water any more this season.
Wives usually win out. My wife was up this morning before I was, and the deck was wet. I asked her, "Did we have rain?". She said, no, she'd watered the lawn. So - regardless of whether it needs it this time of the year or not - if the wife wants it watered, it gets watered.

Is is safe to assume yours hasn't been watered? Ah, looking back, I see you and she compromised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden