Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 06:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I do NOT remove guards on my tools; I worked in manufacturing too long. While I never saw any gory accidents in person, I saw an awful lot of training films and I saw and experienced too many close calls.
Same here in most cases, I do not remove guards from my tools. The OP's idea is especially dangerous, even with the guard a weed trimmer ejects stuff back onto your body all the time. I use mine in brush and rough areas with rocks and dirt so I cannot imagine removing it.

But I do have one exception - my riding lawn mower. I remove the deflector. Just make sure no one is nearby when I am mowing with it. Otherwise it's pretty useless, it will leave windrows in the yard. Risk is not zero, but to me it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 10:35 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
a weed trimmer ejects stuff back onto your body all the time. .
False. You're not using it right. Trust me. When people realize this, they have that AH HA moment.

Figure out if left to right throws stuff back or right to left. Try the opposite and the light bulb will go off.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:01 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
A trimmer throws off stuff all round the plane of the string. Of course it throws more where the string is leaving the thing being trimmed. It also doesn't stay exactly in plane, due to physics. I'm not prepared to be covered with stuff or hit in the face with rocks if I have a moment of inattention. Guards aren't there for the times when you're doing everything perfectly.

A trimmer is also used in a wide variety of orientations from vertical to horizontal, and furthermore it's not always possible to use it in exactly the optimum way, due to obstructions.

Why even bother to have an enclosed deck on a lawn mower, then? Everyone knows not to reach down near it when the blades are turning!

Old 11-04-2022, 07:40 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Why even bother to have an enclosed deck on a lawn mower, then? Everyone knows not to reach down near it when the blades are turning!
My Better Half was surprised by the drawings in the owner's manual for my riding mower, where it shows hands with finger tips flying off and other possible injuries from doing stupid stuff. Of course, I think they have to put that in there to make the lawyers happy (such as with all the ladder labels).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden