Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 05:53 PM

142 posts, read 200,681 times

Advertisements

I keep several plants in my sun room and have just started having spider mites in the last 2 years. I've already lost 2 violas. I have several cactus plants, (Schlumbergera truncata) and also (Schlumbergera Bridgesii) and they are very healthy. I grew them from cuttings off the large ones. I also have a few healthy orchids (Phalaenopsis) Throw in 4 African violets and 1 hanging Firecracker fern.

I just noticed today my fern has spider mites.

I have several questions:

Seeing as I have never seen a spider mite on my cacti or my orchids, could it be possible they are not attractive to the mites? Same thing with the African violets (I've had them for over 10 years without any insects of any kind)

I'd like to know if there is a list somewhere of houseplants that are resistant to spider mites.? I will checking my mite-less plants every day now.

About the fern: What is the best insecticide to use to try and save it? I have used Grower’s Ally on the violas and it did help but the plants died anyway probably because our temperature went too low. It's mostly Rosemary oil.

I am looking for a reasonable priced product with Imidacloprid. Would that be the way to kill these mites?
Hope somebody can help me save my Firecracker fern.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 06:30 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
Some plants attract them, some don't. I would wash the plants with soapy water. That usually reduces or eliminates the problem.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:37 PM

I am thinking that, too, since I've never seen them on the orchids or cacti. I guess they like small tender leaves.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:39 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Insecticidal soap or horticultural oil like Neem will rid the plants of mites. Try googling houseplant susceptible to spider mites. I am sure there are lists.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:32 PM

I believe Imidacloprid would kill them better than anything but I need to know the percentage that would do the job.

For now, I put it outside in the rain and plan to hose it off, too. Maybe give it a good pruning.

I debated between Neem and Growers Allly and decided on the Growers Ally. I know it kills lots of them on my viola but not enough, combined with the cold weather.
Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:37 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
You should quarantine the infected plants away from the healthy ones. Mites can spread easily, even on your hands and clothes.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:34 PM

Yes, I read that they float though the air at the slightest breeze. But I think if my orchids and cacti and A violets were going to get them, they would have already been infested. Thanks

Old 01-25-2023, 08:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Spider mites are easily air-borne since like other spiders they can spin invisible gossamer threads of silk and cast them out onto air currents to lift them air-borne like parachute gliders and carry them far away. So definitely quarantine the infected plants from all others and keep a close eye on all plants everywhere. Increase air humidity everywhere you have plants. Spider mites don't like humidity and it makes the air too heavy for them to spread to other locations by parachuting on air currents.

Until you find the right insecticide to suit you start now with spritzing ALL plants in the house (infected or not) with some soapy water and give all the infected plants a roots drench with soapy water. That means putting each infected pot into a bucket of soapy water with enough water in it to completely submerge the whole pot to above the rim. Leave each pot submerged in the water for half an hour then gently lift out and allow to drain. It will take awhile to drain depending on the porosity of the soil in each pot. Don't rinse the pot and soil but while it's draining do spray all the foliage liberally with soapy water and after it air dries completely you can spray the foliage later with fresh clean water as a rinse.

With regard to the firecracker fern, it would really be a shame to lose that. Since it is in a container that is a point in your favour to save it if you don't mind putting some extra time and effort to fixing it up. That's because you can take the plant out of the pot. Dispose of any excess soil that you can tap off from around the roots then wrap a couple of layers of cheese cloth around the root ball. Then give the entire plant a total bath in a tub of soapy water, a tub big enough to contain and completely submerge the whole plant - root ball, foliage and flowers - for half an hour to an hour. Don't be afraid!

Then lift out and allow to drain, remove the cheese cloth - some more of the soil is going to fall away from the roots - and re-pot the plant in a slightly bigger new pot with all new soil tucked in around the roots and filling the pot. Don't worry if the fern drops some flowers and goes into shock and pitches a sulking hissy fit for a few days, it will come back to normal. Most plants except cacti actually like to be given a full submersion bath for a few minutes from time to time.

In the heat of summertime the firecracker fern kept indoors needs to be lightly watered 2 or 3 times a week to maintain just damp soil (not wet) at all times. If it was outdoors where the roots can grow to wherever they want without confinement you wouldn't have to water it that often, but then it likely wouldn't get spider mites outdoors either. Spider mites really prefer indoor conditions and temperatures.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:14 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Spider mites are easily air-borne since like other spiders they can spin invisible gossamer threads of silk and cast them out onto air currents to lift them air-borne like parachute gliders and carry them far away. So definitely quarantine the infected plants from all others and keep a close eye on all plants everywhere. Increase air humidity everywhere you have plants. Spider mites don't like humidity and it makes the air too heavy for them to spread to other locations by parachuting on air currents.

Until you find the right insecticide to suit you start now with spritzing ALL plants in the house (infected or not) with some soapy water and give all the infected plants a roots drench with soapy water. That means putting each infected pot into a bucket of soapy water with enough water in it to completely submerge the whole pot to above the rim. Leave each pot submerged in the water for half an hour then gently lift out and allow to drain. It will take awhile to drain depending on the porosity of the soil in each pot. Don't rinse the pot and soil but while it's draining do spray all the foliage liberally with soapy water and after it air dries completely you can spray the foliage later with fresh clean water as a rinse.

With regard to the firecracker fern, it would really be a shame to lose that. Since it is in a container that is a point in your favour to save it if you don't mind putting some extra time and effort to fixing it up. That's because you can take the plant out of the pot. Dispose of any excess soil that you can tap off from around the roots then wrap a couple of layers of cheese cloth around the root ball. Then give the entire plant a total bath in a tub of soapy water, a tub big enough to contain and completely submerge the whole plant - root ball, foliage and flowers - for half an hour to an hour. Don't be afraid!

Then lift out and allow to drain, remove the cheese cloth - some more of the soil is going to fall away from the roots - and re-pot the plant in a slightly bigger new pot with all new soil tucked in around the roots and filling the pot. Don't worry if the fern drops some flowers and goes into shock and pitches a sulking hissy fit for a few days, it will come back to normal. Most plants except cacti actually like to be given a full submersion bath for a few minutes from time to time.

In the heat of summertime the firecracker fern kept indoors needs to be lightly watered 2 or 3 times a week to maintain just damp soil (not wet) at all times. If it was outdoors where the roots can grow to wherever they want without confinement you wouldn't have to water it that often, but then it likely wouldn't get spider mites outdoors either. Spider mites really prefer indoor conditions and temperatures.

Z - Only you could make spider mites sound like something I would want in my home!!!

Old 01-26-2023, 07:13 AM

Any kind of soap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden