Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 8,103 times

Advertisements

For some months my hibiscus plant (indoors) grew lots of buds but very few flowers. I finally figured out what was going on. The buds were falling off before they bloomed. I found several stems with no buds, and found the bud I'd been watching for a while in the dirt.
Does anyone know what's happening? And what I can do about it?
tia
las
Attached Thumbnails
Why do my hibiscus buds fall off?-sam_1149.jpg   Why do my hibiscus buds fall off?-sam_1150.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We also have a tropical Hibiscus that stays indoors in winter, and has in the past bloomed like crazy. Every one has fallen off the next day. It's actually quite normal, just a trait. There have been some new hybrids developed that last up to 3 days, but
the majority are like ours, one day.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:06 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
The bud drop you describe is probably related to hormone production in the leaves. Certain hormones move to the stem areas where the break occurs leading to a process called abscission.

Scientists have shown that this hormone change can be caused by certain wavelengths of light shining on the leaves or not enough good light. So maybe you are using artificial light of less ideal wavelengths that promotes this, or you just don’t have enough natural light to keep a good hormone balance.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:12 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
The most common reason tropical hibiscus buds drop is drying out too much.
Drying out. Inconsistent watering. Sudden environmental changes. Being excessively rootbound. Attack from pests.
For more detailed info click here: https://help.costafarms.com/hc/en-us...0falling%20off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden