Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2023, 08:39 PM

257 posts, read 165,758 times

Advertisements

Poison the ground water rivers and lakes...

This is ridiculous! A whole big bag of toxins poison everything?

Other names: Toluene-2,4-diamine, α,α,α-trifluoro-3,5-dinitro-N4,N4-dipropyl-; 1,3-Diamino-N(sup1),N(sup1)-dipropyl-2,6-dinitro-4-(trifluoromethyl)benzene; m-Phenylenediamine, 2,4-dinitro-N3,N3-dipropyl-6-(trifluoromethyl)-; CN-11-2936; N3,N3-Dipropyl-2,4-dinitro-6-trifluoromethyl-m-phenylenediamine; Marathon; Prodiamine; USB-3153; 1,3-Diamino-N1,N1-dipropyl-2,6-dinitro-4-trifluoromethylbenzene; 2,4-Dinitro-N',N'-dipropyl-6-(trifluoromethyl)benzene-1,3-diamine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfW7BAoM0Bc&t

Ya it rains and all this poison runs into rivers lakes... MY groundwater.

Dogs run across it lick their paws...

Old 03-29-2023, 08:48 PM

As of December 2022, Monsanto has reached settlement agreements in nearly 100,000 Roundup lawsuits. Monsanto paid approximately $11 billion. Bayer has accomplished this by negotiating block settlement arrangements with plaintiffs’ lawyers who have large numbers of cases in the litigation.
Although these settlements account for nearly 80% of all pending Roundup claims, there are still about 26,000-30,000 active Roundup lawsuits.

A number of scientific studies have found a link between exposure to glyphosate-based herbicides and increased risk of certain cancers, including Non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL) and its subtypes.
NHL is a type of cancer that begins in lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell, which are part of the lymphatic system. NHL has many subtypes, including chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).
CLL begins in lymphocytes in the bone marrow, and can then spread to the blood and to other parts of the body.

It all just makes no sense to me, throwing all these chemical poisons all over the place to have a toxic waste dump posing as a "nice yard" but I found some articles. Why do this ??

Last edited by BarefootDiabetic; 03-29-2023 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 01:13 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Be careful of what you wish for.

Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide because it's so safe & effective compared to alternatives...It is basically safe in its own right....It affects only one particular enzyme found only in green plants and a few microorgainisms. It actually serves as "food" so to speak for certain soil microorgianisms that help maintain/recycle N,P & K levels in soils, so it's benficial in that respect.

It adheres to soil particles, so has only a minimal ability to leech into ground water, and run-off to streams & lakes has no real affect on aquatic life because it dilutes out so much in the process....There have been essentially no examples of disease caused in humans from normal exposure, despite the outcomes of law suits that relied on pseudo-science for prosecution....Settlements are cheaper than rigorously defending those cases.

It's well established that use of herbicides don't really increase yield on farms very much in a good year-- but they help ensure the continued high yields in the yrs with drought, excess rain, etc-- Food Security.

Lazy suburban home owners may find it more convenient to broadcasrt herbicides on lawns (we can argue that lawns themselves are not good for the environment, being essentially biological deserts compared to a more natural meadow or English garden type landscaping) rather than "spot treating" weeds in the lawn.

https://www.soilassociation.org/medi...ull-report.pdf

BTW- re: the famous CA lawsuit about glyphosate and Non-Hodgkins Lymohoma- a travesty illustrating the political agenda of liberal courts and the complete, willful ignorance of the science. I'd be more than happy to explain that situation to you in detail if you care to know how the court allowed the plaintiff to exhibit only the few studies that showed a slight increase in lymphoma vs control and did not allow (!!) the defendant to exhibit the many studies that show no increase, let alone the several studies that showed a decrease in lymphoma among the exposed.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:25 AM

I see a fake green 'perfect' lawn its like a body builder that's obviously all juiced up on steroids.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:46 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
I see a fake green 'perfect' lawn its like a body builder that's obviously all juiced up on steroids.
I never understood the obsession with vast seas of perfectly trimmed lawn

Not a glimpse of wildlife in sight.

House after house of nothing but foreign grass.

In the meantime we have a 30 billion decrease in songbirds. Butterflies going extinct. But everyone is just concerned with growing foreign weeds.

Give me trees or pocket prairies any day.
They are a lot more beautiful. They provide food and shelter to wildlife and their deeper roots help absorb more water which helps reduce flooding. They rarely require watering and do not need chemical fertilizers, pesticides and constant mowing and baying.

Why American? Why all the obsession with lawn?

Old 03-30-2023, 08:03 AM

On average, homeowners use ten times more chemical fertilizers and pesticides per acre than farmers use on farmland.

"The American Lawn Is an Ecological Disaster

On America’s Bizarre and Harmful Addiction to Grass

In addition to the massive amount of water needed, fake chem lawns require a large amount of fertilizer and weed killer. Over 90 million pounds of fertilizer are used a year, in addition to 70 million pounds of pesticides. Pesticide use can ripple through the food chain, poisoning not only the plants and wildlife where it was applied, but also flowing into streams and creeks nearby. Is it worth it to wreak this much havoc on the environment just to impress your neighbors?

Doesn't impress me having toxic waste dumps in the neighborhood, its scary. Dogs experience the same reactions to pesticide exposure as do humans. These include immediate symptoms such as skin rashes, nausea and vomiting, eye irritations, and respiratory problems. Longer term health issues are more serious. Dogs exposed to lawn chemicals have herbicides in their urine.

Cats can inadvertently become exposed to and potentially poisoned by weed killers. https://icatcare.org/weed-killers-what-are-the-dangers/

Can't even let your cat out when the neighbors poison the entire neighborhood.

Tell your children don't play in the puddles after it rains, they are toxic.

Dogs and cats drink out of those puddles, birds and everything else.

Last edited by BarefootDiabetic; 03-30-2023 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-30-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I never understood the obsession with vast seas of perfectly trimmed lawn

Not a glimpse of wildlife in sight.

House after house of nothing but foreign grass.

In the meantime we have a 30 billion decrease in songbirds. Butterflies going extinct. But everyone is just concerned with growing foreign weeds.

Give me trees or pocket prairies any day.
They are a lot more beautiful. They provide food and shelter to wildlife and their deeper roots help absorb more water which helps reduce flooding. They rarely require watering and do not need chemical fertilizers, pesticides and constant mowing and baying.

Why American? Why all the obsession with lawn?

I don't get it either. Its so boring, and expensive! Boring blank look out the window cant even see if its windy because nothing moves.

What I have gotten is a hard time over my yards in the different places I have lived over my life.

Luckily where I live now is 'grandfathered in' because the previous owner planted all kinds of cool stuff. If I had bought a place that always had phoney chemlawn people very likely would have been all upset if I allowed some nature instead.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:28 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
I have been very pleased with the results of my ”benign neglect” lawn care program.

First, I have a grass that's adapted to my climate (San Augustine, in North Texas). Secondly, I NEVER bag clippings. And no, I don't get ”thatch” - why not? Because of item 3; Thirdly, I never apply synthetic lawn chemicals. Occasionally when I think about it I'll apply some organic fertilizer which is just turkey guano. I have occasionally applied sulfur, which keeps down chiggers. That's it. And that is why my lawn clippings naturally degrade, adding to the fertility of the soil, rather than building up as they do when there are no microorganisms, fungi, beneficial nematodes, etc. in the soil.

When weeds appear I dig them out with a hoe, and/or mow over them before they flower. Amazingly enough, weeds are annuals, and if you don't allow them to flower and make seeds, they won't spontaneously generate.

I occasionally see fungi - mushrooms, or similar. I don't do anything about them, they don't harm anything. They are an indication of a healthy fertile soil.

Because my soil is healthy, I don't have problems with grubworms. Yeah, there are a few. But a small number of grubworms won't cause any significant damage.

In certain shady areas I get a lot of clover rather than grass. I mow it the same as grass. It doesn't hurt anything. In fact, being a legume, it's theoretically adding a wee bit of nitrogen to the soil. I'm not going to cut down trees or mis-prune them to look like broccoli stalks just so I can grow grass under trees. That's stupid. The trees are worth so much more than the grass.

In the spring summer and fall, my neighbors who are busy poisoning the soil in their yards often ask me how I get such thick green turfgrass.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Be careful of what you wish for.

Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide because it's so safe & effective compared to alternatives...It is basically safe in its own right....It affects only one particular enzyme found only in green plants and a few microorgainisms. It actually serves as "food" so to speak for certain soil microorgianisms that help maintain/recycle N,P & K levels in soils, so it's benficial in that respect.

It adheres to soil particles, so has only a minimal ability to leech into ground water, and run-off to streams & lakes has no real affect on aquatic life because it dilutes out so much in the process....There have been essentially no examples of disease caused in humans from normal exposure, despite the outcomes of law suits that relied on pseudo-science for prosecution....Settlements are cheaper than rigorously defending those cases.

It's well established that use of herbicides don't really increase yield on farms very much in a good year-- but they help ensure the continued high yields in the yrs with drought, excess rain, etc-- Food Security.

Lazy suburban home owners may find it more convenient to broadcasrt herbicides on lawns (we can argue that lawns themselves are not good for the environment, being essentially biological deserts compared to a more natural meadow or English garden type landscaping) rather than "spot treating" weeds in the lawn.

https://www.soilassociation.org/medi...ull-report.pdf

BTW- re: the famous CA lawsuit about glyphosate and Non-Hodgkins Lymohoma- a travesty illustrating the political agenda of liberal courts and the complete, willful ignorance of the science. I'd be more than happy to explain that situation to you in detail if you care to know how the court allowed the plaintiff to exhibit only the few studies that showed a slight increase in lymphoma vs control and did not allow (!!) the defendant to exhibit the many studies that show no increase, let alone the several studies that showed a decrease in lymphoma among the exposed.
More than 80 percent of U.S. children and adults likely have glyphosate in their urine.
That’s the “disturbing” result of a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), which found the chemical in 1,885 of 2,310 urine samples of U.S. residents six and older.

https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-us-urine.html

Lets just expose everyone to all this chemlawn stuff in the name of a steroid lawn! Its just ridiculous. DDT was "safe" for a long time too.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:54 AM

4,171 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Excellent thread topic, thank you. On the same note look up golf courses are toxic for more education.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=golf+cours...=v139-1&ia=web

Also, glyphosate is a neurotoxin.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=glyphosate...=v139-1&ia=web

----------------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden