Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 05:28 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Airborne urushiol can cause people sensitive to it breathing problems.

We had to vacate a campground that was loaded with poison ivy- she was definitely having a hard time breathing. Got out of there it got better. I couldn’t imagine keeping it in an enclosed space.
Very good point. It's one thing to avoid exposure to irritating sap, oils, or micro thorns by wearing gloves when you need to touch the plant, but how do you control spread of an aerosol? Some people are so sensitive to urushiol they don't even need to touch poison ivy/oak to suffer a reaction. There are so many other potentially beautiful houseplants to choose from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 06:11 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Very good point. It's one thing to avoid exposure to irritating sap, oils, or micro thorns by wearing gloves when you need to touch the plant, but how do you control spread of an aerosol? Some people are so sensitive to urushiol they don't even need to touch poison ivy/oak to suffer a reaction. There are so many other potentially beautiful houseplants to choose from!
That is my wife. We had a lot of poison ivy in the woods at our property when we lived in eastern panhandle West Virginia. My wife had to use a nebulizer until I sprayed every dang one of them dead.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
How do you get a 153 year old tree that small? I going out on a limb here and assume you are not 153 years old. I get that the bonsai stuff keeps it small, but where do you get one from nature that's still small and 50-100 old? We've got a lot of old trees beat down from the weather here in Alaska but even those tend to be at least several feet tall.
Note the bend in the 3" thick trunk. What happens in the high mountains is that a seedling tree is bent over by the weight of the snow, from October to about July. It's much like when we do wiring for shape, but it's nature doing it. The trunk keeps that shape but tries to go up in summer, but then again the snow come.
We went for a hike at Mt. Rose (Nevada) and there were a lot of firs that went up, then at a right angle, then up again, indicating that there was probably one year with an exceptionally long heavy snow.

When we collect trees we have to get a permit from the agency managing the forest, and usually are limited to trees under 24". This one is still only 20". What keeps it small is being rootbound in the shallow pot, and constant pruning to prevent shoots that would go straight up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden