Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 06:51 PM

71 posts, read 51,088 times

Advertisements

I live in Houston and am looking for suggestions for plants that will grow in a large container in an area with very limited sun. I’d like something that has some height and some color. In addition, I would like a suggestion of a plant that can handle some cold weather, down to 15 deg F. We have had a couple of hard freezes the last few years that have killed the plants that were previously in the containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 08:34 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Bamboo might work. I grew a white bamboo (it was clumping type, not invasive) that liked shade, was not white but had a lovely blue-green color with a white haze to it. I believe bamboo with larger leaves are shade lovers. There are other blue-green bamboos that also tolerate shade.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
1. Golden Oakland Holly- it can take hard freezes and it can grow in shade. Yellow and green variegated leaves.

2. Loropetalum- survives hard freezes and grows in deep shade but the purple color will be better with some sun.

3. Pittosporum- I have only tried the green version but there is a variegated version. They grow in sun or shade. I know the green is hardy but I'm not sure of the variegated version.

Sunshine ligustrum is a pretty chartreuse in the spring in the shade but the remarkable sunshine yellow requires blazing sun.

Same for Florida Sunshine anise/illicium.

Durantas are pretty even in deep shade, but they do not reliably come back from hard freezes.

Japanese maples will grow in deep shade here, but the color will only be pretty early spring and late fall.

Elephant ears, canvas and bananas come in nice colors, but those are not reliably hardy in pots, but will come back in-ground. Same with Gingers

Old 05-02-2023, 01:56 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
The two C's, Coleus and Caladiums. Work in my mostly shade area and if by chance you have a hanging basket try Torenia.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Gold Dust Aucuba shrub would fit the bill for all your requirements. The leaves are green with golden yellow speckles. Gets to maximum of about 10 feet tall at maturity, moderately fast grower, really easy to trim and shape if desired, evergreen and colorful all year round, gets clusters of white spring flowers and bright red winter berries, tolerates deep full shade and freezing temperatures, and is drought resistant but the leaves aren't scorch resistant if the plant gets too much direct sun. I've got a couple of them and they're nice and bushy, super easy to maintain.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/p...ld-dust-laurel

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden