Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 11:58 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update and the pictures. Wow! Karen you sure have your work cut out for you with all that clearing and cleaning up to do all by yourself but you are doing a great job of it. I know it's a big project but remember to pace yourself and continue to be methodical, careful and safe, don't exhaust yourself. Keep on reminding yourself that you can't get it all done as fast as you would like but it is all time well spent. Keep the big picture in mind, what you're envisioning for the property for the future will come to be a reality and it sounds like it's going to be gorgeous when you've accomplished all your goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

....... Any branches less than ~1.5-2", I can use my new wood chipper on to make mulch (I tried it, it works OK, just can't do much at a time so it will take me a while!)......
It's great that you got yourself a wood chipper. Three years ago the manager of the property here got a little portable electric wood chipper on wheels for use on the smaller trimmings that come off the trees and I'm so glad he got it.

The bigger branches are disposed of elsewhere, they get loaded into a truck and taken away to a local business that has big industrial size chippers for big wood that gets chipped and mixed with other organic materials that are converted into great big steaming hills of compost for sale to gardeners, farmers, landscapers.

I love what the little chipper produces, it's fine grade 1/4 inch wood chips that are perfect for putting down to create smooth flat raised foot paths that suppress weeds and between trees and bushes, other plants etc. It serves well for retention of moisture in the soil and for insulation during extreme winter and summer temperatures and it makes everything look so neat and tidy too. Enjoy your wood chipper, it's a good investment and is fun to play with. Just be careful to not let it get overheated from using it for too long, give it breaks to cool down, and remember to keep a fire extinguisher handy there when working with dried wood during hot, dry weather.

I look forward to reading your future updates and photos of your projects in progress.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 01:46 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

L00k4ward:

As for the idea for a flower bed a few feet in front of the rhody line: I think it would look fine (OK, we disagree on that), but for ease I may just go with cardboard/landscape fabric/mulch and potted plants for now.

…THAT rhody is looking better and is in bloom right now, but I still have to cut off more branches. Two questions: (1) How can you tell for sure that a branch is dead -- no leaves on it? And (2) Why cut off crossing branches -- just to keep them from being unwieldy? I DID cut off a lot of those as the "interior" was a big mess -- probably more to do!

I will lay down cardboard, then landscape fabric, then mulch, then potted flowers and little stepping stones so I can get to that wall as I'll be putting up a few outdoor decor items on it -- still LOTS more clearing and leveling to do in the space ...

…And finally, the big pile of cuttings. Any branches less than ~1.5-2", I can use my new wood chipper on to make mulch (I tried it, it works OK, just can't do much at a time so it will take me a while!).

…Any branches over 2", and there aren't many of those, I can take to my town's dump for free. (Between my new compost pile -- thanks, Cambium! -- and the new wood chipper, I will be taking VERY little yard/garden waste to the dump from now on!)

Oh, the SOLITARY rhody in front of my inset porch is in bloom NOW and it was lovely hearing the buzz of bees yesterday as they enjoyed the flowers.

A bit more advice whether you take it or not

- do NOT use the landscaping fabric - the worst product ever - gives you an illusion of “preventing” weeds, it is more of psychotherapy tool to give you an illusion that the gardener could “control” the nature and environment.

The weeds you will have - won’t be coming from the ground - a thick layer of mulch on top of wet cardboard will suppress the in ground weeds well enough.

The cardboard as a source of carbon -will tie the nitrogen where it touches soil surface depriving the weeds needed nutrients and acting as pre-emergent herbicide for a year or 2. The mulch will keep the soil moist - easy to pul a stray weed

Most of your weeds will be seeded by wind, wildlife - on top of your mulch.

The woody strong weeds like vines - the ones which will be able to break through the cardboard and mulch on occasion in some places you missed to clear - will defeat the landscaping fabric easily

The woody vines, shrubs and tree seedlings- will come from the top, their roots will entangle with the landscaping fabric and will be impossible to uproot- the best way to remove them - the fabric will get broken down by the roots making a mess and contaminating your soil with bits and pieces - impossible to remove or remedy.

Strongly recommend against using it. Save your money- buy more plants - thank me a few years later.

To answer the question on crossing branches and if it is a live wood.

Rub a branch with your nail - if you see a speck of green - is alive. If you can’t rub - it most like dry/dead/dying
- the crossing branches on trees/shrubs are removed to prevent rubbing - may cause open wounds and invite pests and diseases; they are removed to avoid the competition and let light inside the shrub and to create a pleasant shape and structure of the tree/shrub.
Otherwise you may have green leaves only on the outside - and empty brown inside the shrub.

Another advice still stands:
If you want to keep pruning rhodies into shape - I suggest to cut them down to 12_18’from the ground - basically obliterating the old structure of the branches- and start anew:

-the new branches will be thinner and easier to prune and keep in shape - must be done every year but then you could just snap those young shoots by your gloved hand vs cutting thick branches as of now and making more things to dump.
The young shoots you will be snapping - could be just dropped in place and decompose much quicker as a sort of green manure.

If it is too drastic for you - it is ok not to do it.

You could use the cut thick branches of the rhodies as a diy art if you are crafty - they are usually not straight - it makes them suitable for all interesting ideas vs leaving them in the woods - it takes a long time for rhododendrons to decompose.

P.S. an interesting tidbit on bees and rhodies.
They are not friends: the rhododendrons honey is poisonous to bees and humans - where honeybees are originally from - they didn’t have rhododendrons , they are not natives there in Siberia.
Stupid humans brought them there now.
Not all honey is created equal

It could even be another reason the bees are not thriving - in old honey producing nations like Russia - they use a specific term for an unhealthy bad for the bees honey - something like the “honey of the dead”.

They have a specific test for that bad honey to make sure that the bees are not left with it for the winter…
When I talk to local beekeepers here - they are not even aware of unhealthy for the bees honey and those tests
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-img_4387.jpeg  

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-20-2023 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-20-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

.... You could use the cut thick branches of the rhodies as a diy art if you are crafty - they are usually not straight - it makes them suitable for all interesting ideas.......
That is very nice!

I think a low decorative fence or border or trellis made that way would look really cool. I could use something like that to prop up the heavy peonies at this time of year so they don't fall over.

I'm going to try that for the peonies, thanks for the idea.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:22 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That is very nice!

I think a low decorative fence or border or trellis made that way would look really cool. I could use something like that to prop up the heavy peonies at this time of year so they don't fall over.

I'm going to try that for the peonies, thanks for the idea.

You are welcome, Zoisite! Hope you post your art/ craft here!

Have you seen what some people are capable of? Some are really really great!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-img_4334.jpeg   HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-img_4386.jpeg  

Old 05-20-2023, 07:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I am partial to this one because i like the light pink color.

When i lived in Oregon, there were rhodie bushes that were taller than the 3-story houses they stood next to

So wish I could see it in person. It looks like a postcard.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:57 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Karen you made me tired just looking at all the work you have done already. What a huge accomplishment. Congrats. .

Old 05-21-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
You are welcome, Zoisite! Hope you post your art/ craft here!

Have you seen what some people are capable of? Some are really really great!
That hewn wood gazebo is incredible.

Old 05-23-2023, 12:18 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I'm creeped out by rhodies because there are just so many of them, planted everywhere, where I live. If you have any open space, plant a rhodie. In front of a store, plant a rhodie. Don't trim it, just let it go crazy. My property had tons of huge, old, out of control rhodies and it was just overwhelming. The flowers reminded me of funeral flowers.

I was in another part of my state yesterday & saw some rhodies that had smaller flowers in more pleasing (to me) colors. They looked so much better to me than what I see closer to home. They're still not my favorite, but to each their own.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:23 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I love rhododendrons and azaleas, but you're right that as far as the flowers go - they look awesome, but only for a little while. I still like their appearance without flowers personally, but I get it - you're not impressed. Some random thoughts...

As far as pruning goes, here's some info from the American Rhododendron society "How And When To Prune Rhododendrons":
https://www.rhododendron.org/v34n3p125.htm

An alternative shrub that is also a large traditional flowering shrub and flowers much longer would be the hydrangea. Most hydrangeas should not be out in all-day sun though, and they need a good deal of watering - I have a number of different varieties in my little garden and when I am not careful to keep them watered, the leaves will be sad and limp, some need less watering than others though. The most rugged hydrangea I have is the Lime Hydrangea, although I am seeing that these things are actually spreading via seed though - so if you want it controlled, maybe not the best!

I have 4 hydrangea varieties and the ones I like best are the Proven Winners Tuff Stuff. https://www.provenwinners.com/plants...rangea-serrata. They are a smaller variety - grow about 3 feet high which is perfect for my small yard. They also tolerate cold weather and I know you're in NH. The lacecap style blooms are pink in alkaline soil and blue in acidic soil.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-23-2023 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-23-2023, 12:20 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Great update, nice work. It's rewarding afterwards.
Thanks! You know I LOVE your garden threads so it's nice to see you on this one of mine too.

Quote:
If you're on 1.29 acres I don't see why you should even go to the dump at all. You should devote 1/4 of that to just woods and dump everything in there. Wildlife will love it. Compost pile separate of course because big stuff doesn't break down as fast.
Well, I'm not taking up that much of my back yard (I have plans for it!! Like a pool! Ha! Makes no sense in New Hampshire, alas , but I would SO love a really big semi-in-ground pool back there), but I did start the pile and will keep adding to it. I have to remember to start composting stuff from my FOOD and coffee too!

Oh, and I take my trash to the dump so I have to go out there anyway. No city services like trash pick-up here, and commercial vendors charge a fortune -- I paid for it for a long time but I generate so little trash that it made no sense. Normally a trip to the dump once a month is fine, although I've gone more often lately (I go while running other errands out that way).

Quote:
Can you post a photo similar to the very first one you posted in this thread? That will give us a better view of the progress and comparison.
I'll add photos to this one after I finish answering some other posts!

Quote:
Thanks for the update and the pictures. Wow! Karen you sure have your work cut out for you with all that clearing and cleaning up to do all by yourself but you are doing a great job of it. I know it's a big project but remember to pace yourself and continue to be methodical, careful and safe, don't exhaust yourself. Keep on reminding yourself that you can't get it all done as fast as you would like but it is all time well spent. Keep the big picture in mind, what you're envisioning for the property for the future will come to be a reality and it sounds like it's going to be gorgeous when you've accomplished all your goals.
You are so right, and so kind -- thank you for that!

Quote:
It's great that you got yourself a wood chipper. Three years ago the manager of the property here got a little portable electric wood chipper on wheels for use on the smaller trimmings that come off the trees and I'm so glad he got it.

The bigger branches are disposed of elsewhere, they get loaded into a truck and taken away to a local business that has big industrial size chippers for big wood that gets chipped and mixed with other organic materials that are converted into great big steaming hills of compost for sale to gardeners, farmers, landscapers.

I love what the little chipper produces, it's fine grade 1/4 inch wood chips that are perfect for putting down to create smooth flat raised foot paths that suppress weeds and between trees and bushes, other plants etc. It serves well for retention of moisture in the soil and for insulation during extreme winter and summer temperatures and it makes everything look so neat and tidy too. Enjoy your wood chipper, it's a good investment and is fun to play with. Just be careful to not let it get overheated from using it for too long, give it breaks to cool down, and remember to keep a fire extinguisher handy there when working with dried wood during hot, dry weather.

I look forward to reading your future updates and photos of your projects in progress. .
I DO like the wood chipper although it's small and I had SO many branches that it took quite awhile to use. But this time period is rather unusual because I'm clearing out, cleaning, etc. SO many areas so I know it will get easier when I'm just in MAINTENANCE mode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Karen you made me tired just looking at all the work you have done already. What a huge accomplishment. Congrats. .
Thanks for your very sweet comment! I actually enjoy the work a lot -- it is such a pleasure to finally have TIME to work on my garden and lawn. Is that weird?

L00k4ward: regarding the landscape fabric: I have a LOT of it (bought long ago) so will use it in SOME areas -- as I think I wrote in a rep comment to you, I will likely experiment and use it in some places but not others (and keep records!). So that will give me a better idea. (I'm actually more likely to use it in areas where I want NOTHING to grow, i.e. areas where I won't be planting but will be using potted plants & other decor).

And those pictures of WOOD ART were phenomenal -- thank you for posting them! Alas, I don't have that creative gene -- my mom passed hers on to at least 2 of my sisters, but I didn't get it. My sister Sheral would see some branches and automatically picture in her head what she could make with them! I wish I could do that!

Quote:
That hewn wood gazebo is incredible.
Totally agree!! The amount of thought, creativity, and hard work that went into that -- just WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I love rhododendrons and azaleas, but you're right that as far as the flowers go - they look awesome, but only for a little while. I still like their appearance without flowers personally, but I get it - you're not impressed. Some random thoughts...
Great links -- thank you! I will definitely peruse them all. (A bunch of my heucheras/coral bells are Proven Winners -- they've generally done very well.) And speaking of rhodies, mine are in bloom now -- some photos below!

Oh, and I love hydrangeas too -- in fact, that's what I was THINKING of planting in a little bed in front of the line of rhodies. I don't think there's room there, though. I will have to think of other areas where they might work -- but that will likely be next year's big project!

=====

OK, some more rhody photos ...

^^^ THAT is the right-most rhody in the line (nearest the street). In front of it is the little corner picket fence I pushed into the ground with one of my lawn ornaments (a metal wagon) with some annuals. I'll have another of those corner picket fences on the other end. Not sure if I'll have grass in between (in front of the line of rhodies) OR add the same picket fence edging I have around my heuchera bed and then just add cardboard, mulch, and potted plants. Hmmm ...

^^^ THAT picture is panning to the left (moving toward the right wall of my pellet shed) -- you can see that the rhodies to the left haven't many flowers yet. I'm hoping to see more in the coming days.

^^^ Anyone know what these are? ^^^ They have tiny flowers. They're to the RIGHT of the line of rhodies and my picket fence corner (you can see they're closer to the street) and are getting out of control. I am thinking of cutting them all down but I'd like to identify them first!

^^^ This is the rhody that's by itself JUST outside my inset porch on the front of the house (service entrance just to the left of the garage). Lots of bumble bees (I think I caught at least 1 in the photo!). This is the one I trimmed MASSIVELY within the last week or two, then it started blooming a few days later, to my delight (and the bees' apparent delight as well! ).

^^^ AND FINALLY, THE HEUCHERAS / CORAL BELLS -- they are looking better and better! I just love them for their insanely gorgeous foliage, and I am going to do my best to nurture them ... still lots of work to do in this bed, so I will likely do more wedding this afternoon, but then I will wait until Thursday (2 days from now) to plant the ones from pots as we are expecting rain tomorrow and the ground will be softer and easier to manage. Then lots of cardboard and mulch!

MORE SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, ETC. ALWAYS WELCOME!!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-heuchera_bed_5-23_more_work_to_do_but_they_are_gorgeous.jpg   HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-side_yard_rhody_clean-up_may-2023_05.jpg   HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-side_yard_rhody_clean-up_may-2023_06.jpg   HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-side_yard_rhody_clean-up_may-2023_07_what_are_these.jpg   HELP, PLEASE! How do I fix this out-of-control line of rhododendrons?-rhody_just_outside_inset_porch_in_bloom_with_bees_may-2023.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden