Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 04:28 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They need to be kept in check or else they'll eventually take over as an impenetrable giant ball that fills in the entire space in the yard where they were planted.

AKA, a rhododendron hell.

https://twitter.com/JEVanLoke/status...17810855383043
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 05:32 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:

Also, just so you know, it's not at all possible with rhodos of any type or origin for anyone to be able to trim them like boxwood, and they can't be manipulated into little balls.
Oh, I can see them both ways driving in almost any neighborhood in western PA. Rhodies AND azaleas turned into hedges and/or balls.... so sad!

Old 05-12-2023, 05:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 802,049 times
I hate those things, a lot of people have them where I live. I dug them out. The only good rhododendrons are the pale pink ones that grow in the woods.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thank you, thank you! Great find! I love it but I wouldn't want to work on it.

Yes, that monster shown is exactly what those kinds of hybrid rhodies will do if left to their own devices. That is what Karen's rhodo hedge wants to do now too, especially now that it's probably getting less shade and more light than it was getting before the pine tree branches were removed.

In its own way that giant mound shown is a master gardener's work of art, it's supposed to be a show piece for that park, but I feel sorry for whatever team of gardeners have to dead head and prune and clean up all the bits with sticky resin residue on them after that monster finishes blooming. That sticky resin is sooooo hard to clean off tools, clothes and hands unless you use baby oil on it.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-12-2023 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-12-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I hate those things, a lot of people have them where I live. I dug them out. The only good rhododendrons are the pale pink ones that grow in the woods.

The pale pink ones you see in the woods aren't introduced ornamental hybrid cultivars, they are natural wild natives, one of North America's 3 different native species that grow into real rhododendron trees that can get to about 25 to 30 feet tall. There's a long stretch of road along the coast in Oregon that twists through a pale pink rhododendron forest and the trees there are closer to 40 - 50 feet tall! They hang over the road so it looks like you're driving inside a pink tunnel. They are beautiful and natural looking, the first time I saw that forest I was gob-smacked. So lovely.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:53 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Thank you, thank you! Great find! I love it but I wouldn't want to work on it.

Yes, that monster shown is exactly what those kinds of hybrid rhodies will do if left to their own devices. That is what Karen's rhodo hedge wants to do now too, especially now that it's probably getting less shade and more light than it was getting before the pine tree branches were removed.

In its own way that giant mound shown is a master gardener's work of art, it's supposed to be a show piece for that park, but I feel sorry for whatever team of gardeners have to dead head and prune and clean up all the bits with sticky resin residue on them after that monster finishes blooming. That sticky resin is sooooo hard to clean off tools, clothes and hands unless you use baby oil on it.

You're welcome!

Old 05-12-2023, 08:58 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Stunning!! Who cares who maintains it. That is awesome looking!

Old 05-13-2023, 05:00 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Ordinarily I'd agree with you on that about lots of other species of plants.

However, the OP's rhodos aren't a naturalized nor native species of North America, hers are a foreign introduced hybrid ornamental cultivar that somebody planted there. They have been bred to naturally grow into really, really huge round balls if they aren't kept in check. That is what the OP's rhodos are starting to do, they've met and grown together and will grow into a single big invasive ball. They need to be kept in check or else they'll eventually take over as an impenetrable giant ball that fills in the entire space in the yard where they were planted.

Also, just so you know, it's not at all possible with rhodos of any type or origin for anyone to be able to trim them like boxwood, and they can't be manipulated into little balls. Some cultivars can be bonsaied though.

FWIW:

- there is no way to know from the photos if the OP’s rhododendrons are “foreign introduced hybrid” - there are 1000 varieties/species out there. Most likely natives.

-there are “native” rhododendrons in nearly every state except some mostly southern states where perhaps the soils are alkaline and which are too warm for rhododendrons

-the “foreign” rhododendrons - are pretty much similar to the natives - as they were separated by the continental drift years ago

- they could be definitely troublesome in Britain - the perfect climate for the introduced to Britain rhodies - similar situation could be in parts of PNW

Have never heard of rhodies being troubles on the East Coast? -they could be easily “managed” if rejuvenated by pruning close to the ground, with soft new growth pruned into shapes/sizes.

Left to their own devices some may become small -ish trees depending on the variety, species, climate

- there is controversy regarding “native” plants in general - native to West?East?South? US? North America? (Earth? -) - some of the native plants could be even invasive if taken out of their local endemic areas.

The OP will decide what to do with them - but unless completely removed - the OP may try different options - the rhododendrons are mostly pretty forgiving- except some very finicky “foreign” types -

Some good summary in simple language about rhododendrons if anyone is interested

Native Rhododendrons & Azaleas of North America

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-13-2023 at 05:17 AM..

Old 05-13-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

....... The OP will decide what to do with them - but unless completely removed - the OP may try different options - the rhododendrons are mostly pretty forgiving- except some very finicky “foreign” types -

Some good summary in simple language about rhododendrons if anyone is interested

Native Rhododendrons & Azaleas of North America

I think maybe the OP has forgotten that she posted the thread but I suspect when her plants become a more immediate concern she'll likely have them completely removed and done with so they're no longer a nuisance.

Thanks for posting the above link to the North American natives. That's a great source. It's quite comprehensive, plus with pictures and I've learned something new. I had thought there was only 3 of the evergreen natives in North America but it appears there might be more than 3 out of the 28 all over natives of this continent.

Old 05-13-2023, 12:21 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Personally, I would leave them the way they are. I like native plants in a natural state. Trimming them like boxwood, or manipulating them into little balls, is wrong as far as I am concerned
Thats what I would do. I'm across the state in the same zone and am ordering a bunch of rody's to screen off a side because my house has tall trees which only partly obscure my house from the street.

Prune them back if they are too big, they'll grow back soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden