Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 05:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Just a suggestion since you are a newbie at gardening. Stand back and take as clear a photo of each section as you can. Once you post them, and find out what they are, note the names of each so you will have it for reference in the future.

Also, you can get a lot of info here and locally find the number for the Board of Cooperative Extension in your area. They should be able to add a lot of info for you, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 06:57 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omf_24 View Post
Thanks, I am in Georgia, I have a ton of plants all over my property, I will post more photos. There was a freeze in December to single digits. I have a large one of these bushes I will post that one too tomorrow.
I am also in GA and I have lost several of these bushes. Boxwoods are junk shrubs anyway. Live and learn, trial and error. My soil is on the acid side, and I’ve had good results with nandina, hollies, gardenia, viburnum, distylium and loropetatum.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:37 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Thanks, I am in Georgia, I have a ton of plants all over my property, I will post more photos. There was a freeze in December to single digits. I have a large one of these bushes I will post that one too tomorrow.
That freeze in December damaged most of the boxwoods here in TN too. Temps dropped over 50 degrees to sub-zero here in a matter of hours right before Christmas. Normally a plant gradually acclimates to the cold weather as winter sets in, but the sudden and severe early freeze caused the water still in the stems and branches to freeze solid, killing much of the above-ground plant.

As others have said, cut the plant wayyyy back. There may still be enough life left in the root ball to grow a new plant above ground. It is better, whenever possible, to continue with an established root ball than replanting with a vulnerable "baby" one. But it takes time to see if the old root ball does, indeed, have sufficient life left.

We are still watching our boxwoods (and azaleas and hollies) closely, and we aren't sure yet if time will bring them back. We have about 40 shrubs that are are on "life support" right now. Fingers crossed for yours and mine!

Old 05-14-2023, 07:46 AM

45 posts, read 48,741 times
Here’s my other one. Ignore the weeds and holly in the middle of it

Old 05-14-2023, 08:28 AM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Here’s my other one. Ignore the weeds and holly in the middle of it
Yeah, those plants are past messing with.

Tip: cut off all the dead branches before you try to dig it out. It's a pain to do but more of a pain digging it out with them on it.

You know, they might have just died. For no reason apparent or just because. I had a climbing rose do that last year, bloomed like a madman and then just died.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:07 AM

6,388 posts, read 4,896,864 times
They are definitely dead. Even if they came back it would look awful for a long and take many years to resemble their former selves.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:33 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Agreed. It would be good to know what caused them to die off like that so you don't do it again, but they're too far gone now. Just read the instructions on whatever you replace them with and hope for better luck.

If you don't want to dig them out, you can cut them off at the ground. Small chance a few might survive and come back... no harm if they don't.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:53 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Thank you for your comments - I have an even larger one, I will post a picture of that - any idea why those in particular are dead while everything else is alive?
Severe cold this past winter killed a LOT of landscape plantings in zone 7

Old 05-14-2023, 04:55 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am also in GA and I have lost several of these bushes. Boxwoods are junk shrubs anyway. Live and learn, trial and error. My soil is on the acid side, and I’ve had good results with nandina, hollies, gardenia, viburnum, distylium and loropetatum.
Add abelia to that list. I hate nandina but loropetalum is a good bush to have in the landscape.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:25 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Add abelia to that list. I hate nandina but loropetalum is a good bush to have in the landscape.
Love Abelia, but they did not do well in my yard. There are dwarf nandina, such as Lemon and Lime that thrive in a shady area of my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden