Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 09:00 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,286,049 times

Advertisements

Have a new retaining wall with bedding area that I want to put some smallish shrubs (boxwood?) and/or blue rug juniper in, then add some annual and/or perennial ground cover for color. Part of the area will get some morning sun, most of it late afternoon sun... but none of it full sun all day.

I'm in southeastern Nebraska. If I plant now, will there be enough time for the boxwood to mature enough for winter?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 09:26 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
There are DEFINITELY posters here with more gardening experience than me, but here's my thoughts...

What are the average temps where you are, now? One of the advantages of planting in the Fall, is that plants aren't defending themselves from the heat as much, thus letting the roots get established.

I would think if your temps aren't getting too hot, or too cold, now would be a GOOD time to plant.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:46 AM

5,900 posts, read 6,109,153 times
Fall is the ideal time to plant. Maybe late summer depending on your local climate. I'd say late August to early September is ideal for Nebraska, but if the weather looks a bit milder than usually, you could try planting them now, just make sure to water regularly for the first week or two.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2023, 10:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Have a new retaining wall with bedding area that I want to put some smallish shrubs (boxwood?) and/or blue rug juniper in, then add some annual and/or perennial ground cover for color. Part of the area will get some morning sun, most of it late afternoon sun... but none of it full sun all day.

I'm in southeastern Nebraska. If I plant now, will there be enough time for the boxwood to mature enough for winter?

Thanks!
No, I think not.

Before planting any perennials now I'd take into consideration what the usual winter conditions are like in southeastern Nebraska and whether or not newly planted roots can manage to become well enough established to get them through winter when they presently have only 3 months (middle of August to the middle of November) to become even partially established.

I don't think they can become well established enough for their own safety before the beginning of December. Between December and March the boxwoods, like all evergreens, will be in a semi-dormant state and the roots and above ground foliage will stop growing until spring. That will make the new plants highly vulnerable to the vagaries of a Nebraska winter and their first winter might prove to be a real killer if they haven't had time to establish some new roots.

Personally I'd wait until very early spring to plant new perennials, shrubs or trees and that will give them 8 or 9 months for the roots to become deeper, bigger and better established before they have to face their first winter in the ground.

Questions you need to examine when considering planting shrubs and trees: Does it ever get cold enough for the ground to freeze to 6 inches below the surface? How much precipitation does Nebraska get during winter? How high is the water table? Does the soil on your property drain very well or will you have to provide more drainage capability? Is the existing soil highly organic and moist or will you have to amend the soil with more organics and mulch? Is SE Nebraska more or less windy compared to the rest of the state? I've read that Nebraska in general is becoming more and more windy and scientists are trying to figure out why.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:52 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,554,963 times
We are in upstate, NY. Now is the time to plant here. We planted Boxwoods a few years back in September. They have flourished. Not sure about your climate, though.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:06 PM

5,900 posts, read 6,109,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, I think not.

Before planting any perennials now I'd take into consideration what the usual winter conditions are like in southeastern Nebraska and whether or not newly planted roots can manage to become well enough established to get them through winter when they presently have only 3 months (middle of August to the middle of November) to become even partially established.

I don't think they can become well established enough for their own safety before the beginning of December. Between December and March the boxwoods, like all evergreens, will be in a semi-dormant state and the roots and above ground foliage will stop growing until spring. That will make the new plants highly vulnerable to the vagaries of a Nebraska winter and their first winter might prove to be a real killer if they haven't had time to establish some new roots.

Personally I'd wait until very early spring to plant new perennials, shrubs or trees and that will give them 8 or 9 months for the roots to become deeper, bigger and better established before they have to face their first winter in the ground.

Questions you need to examine when considering planting shrubs and trees: Does it ever get cold enough for the ground to freeze to 6 inches below the surface? How much precipitation does Nebraska get during winter? How high is the water table? Does the soil on your property drain very well or will you have to provide more drainage capability? Is the existing soil highly organic and moist or will you have to amend the soil with more organics and mulch? Is SE Nebraska more or less windy compared to the rest of the state? I've read that Nebraska in general is becoming more and more windy and scientists are trying to figure out why.

Fair points, do you think boxwoods are more of a risky one to plant in the fall compared to other plants? I've never grown them, but looking into them more, they're generally only hardy to zone 5, which is what most of SE Nebraska is rated as. I think for hardier plants like rhubarb, red osier, bush honeysuckle, spruce, white pine, etc they'd probably do ok planted in August, but maybe boxwoods are more vulnerable?

Old 08-11-2023, 03:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Boxwoods are subject to stress from freezing weather, their leaves will turn orange. You could take a chance, and might find the prices lower now because the nurseries sell more of them in spring. Just water it until the cold weather comes so it has a chance to grow roots and settle in. I would wait, however on the boxwood if you get sustained cold below freezing. Junipers are much more forgiving and should make it just fine.

I lost one that I was growing as a bonsai when we hit 10F one year. The replacement will come inside when we expect it to drop that much again.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:05 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
Zone 7a; am going to wait for a few weeks so I can be sure we will get rain. Then I am going to move some Golden Oakland Hollies.

Boxwood blight has spread to VA and there is no cure. If this has spread to your area, consider another plant. The most susceptible variety is —Buxus sempervirens Suffruticosa, the English boxwood. https://www.winchesterstar.com/winch...17d774a07.html

Colonial Williamsburg has over 8,000 boxwoods. They spray their boxwoods twice a year with Wilt-Pruf to cover the leaves so the fungus doesn't get to the leaf, but that's a lot of work and money.

Ilex glabra is an evergreen holly also known as inkberry. Consider it as an alternative to boxwood; most folks won't know.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:55 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
I have better luck planting trees and shrubs in the fall, but I don't live in Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden