Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,273,593 times

Advertisements

Hi all…

I moved here on the FL Gulf coast 5 years ago. I live in an apartment that has an exposed patio that gets direct sunlight all afternoon. I have a brown thumb when it comes to gardening so after a couple of years of plant failures I decided that I would stick with cacti and succulents. The good news is that they are growing like gangbusters. The bad news is that I can’t find plant stands or shelving durable enough nor tall enough to accommodate them. After a year or so the rain, humidity and relentless sunshine rusts out metal plant stands. Right now I have them on a plastic shelving unit but the plants themselves are too tall for the middle shelves and are kind of squashed in there.

I’d appreciate any suggestions on what others do in this situation. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant Stands or Shelving-img_5324.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

3,072 posts, read 2,414,096 times
I would try putting three plants on the corner. Then I'd remove the top shelf and arrange the rest of the plants on the top and in front of the shelf, so that nothing is on the bottom shelf. If there isn't room on the patio, I'd put some of the pots on the gravel. The alternative is to get a taller stand, which could tip over.

Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
I would not have any of them lumped together on a stand. Strategically place them around the area.

Old Today, 04:34 AM

4,885 posts, read 3,312,129 times
I have an old fold-up baker's rack outdoors that's held up well for a couple years. In your case, I think I'd spread them out them out in single holders like the one to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden