Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times

Advertisements

I was always taught that the best way to grow squash was to plant them on top of a pasture patty. In the past, I've used composted manure to create a slightly "hot" zone for them. I didn't have easy access to that when planting this year, and I've mixed about a pint of chicken litter with about twice that amount of slightly composted grass clippings to pump up the carbon, and about three times that of our sweet clay loam, using about a couple gallons of water to mix, planting the seeds on top of the hill in an overdressing of loam. Opinions on if I'm going to burn them because of the high N content of the litter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Chicken manure is extremely high in nitrogen and yes it can burn. Chicken manure is also a known disease carrier and that's why it's not been approved for commercial retail sales.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
I didn't do any such thing - and my squash has taken off! It's a monster. I picked five big zucchinis today! (we used Miracle Grow, as the soil is not that great, even with the black soil that we added and mixed in).

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Chicken manure is extremely high in nitrogen and yes it can burn. Chicken manure is also a known disease carrier and that's why it's not been approved for commercial retail sales.
they sell chicken poop but it's pasteurized

Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
they sell chicken poop but it's pasteurized
It's not allowed in our area.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM

I'm not concerned about disease. The flock is healthy, no WNV or flu, treated for coocidosis, litter matured for about a month in a hot pile. If anything, I'm more concerned about the hormones or antibiotics that might have been in the feed.

Chicken litter is common here, and one traditional method of gardening is to pen a flock over a garden plot to till and fertilize it. What the gummint requires for mass distribution can be a lot different than what works on an individual highly controlled basis. If my tomato had salmonella, I could blame Henrietta and not have to DNA test the crops from a dozen states and worry about other folks impaired immune systems.

I'll just have to see if the N levels are too high in my hills. If I see die-off, maybe I can transplant.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
I've also used composted chicken litter in my vegetable garden with no ill effects.

I used to spread lawn clipping and leaves on the floor of my hen's airy coop to give them something to scratch around in and to dilute their droppings a bit. From time to time I'd rake it out and throw it in the compost. It took approx. 6 months to completely fill one of two large compost bins I'd made. So once the second was filled, I'd dump the older one into the garden and mix it in.

Did I turn the compost or water it? Occasionally, but I wasn't anal about it. If there were uncomposted sections, I simply put them back into the compost cycle.

And yes, the vegetables grew well. And no, no one got sick from eating anything out of the garden.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM

This is an exerpt about chicken manure from the University of Iowa Ext Svc;
The H5N1 avian influenza virus has been transmitted from infected birds to mammals. In addition to wild birds and domestic poultry, the H5N1 virus has infected domestic cats, tigers, leopards, dogs, swine and humans. Approximately 50 percent of humans infected have died.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:43 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
I'm sorry, I'm just not that paranoid yet.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This is an exerpt about chicken manure from the University of Iowa Ext Svc;
The H5N1 avian influenza virus has been transmitted from infected birds to mammals. In addition to wild birds and domestic poultry, the H5N1 virus has infected domestic cats, tigers, leopards, dogs, swine and humans. Approximately 50 percent of humans infected have died.
Oh, please. There is so much missing in that panic poo that it isn't even funny. The hundred or so people infected were working close to poultry in crowded third world conditions. The barrier for infection in humans is more than just significant, it is enough that the CDC is more concerned about mutations of the virus than the virus itself.

So, lets examine the worst case scenario as given by professionals. Six million people worldwide die. That translates to a one chance in twenty of dying. Now figure the distribution of death, - most will be in third world countries, - most will be people who are very young, very old, or already ill. Chances of a healthy person, who has none of those factors, picking up the disease and dying are next to nil. Sure, in a general pandemic, something like that will sometimes happen, but even then the likelihood isn't there.

I don't blow things off without consideration. There are things I do worry about. I pick off any ticks as soon as I find them. I drive carefully. I never use my chainsaw when tired. I don't work outside when there is lightning. Am I also going to sanitize chicken poo in a pressure cooker before putting it in the garden? Am I going to wear garlic around my neck to ward off vampires? Nope.

If anything, the evidence is mounting that people who are routinely exposed to challenges to the immune system are far healthier and more resilient to disease than those who live a super-sanitary life.

If someone enjoys going through life being scared, they need to go to a Freddy Kruger movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden