Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times

Advertisements

Hi,I posted once before about a white flowering dogwood tree that I planted in June. I transplanted it to an area with partial shade, but I fear it's been too much. It is completely brown with no signs of life - no tiny sprouts anywhere. I guess I'll just keep doing my best and crossing my fingers. Is there any way for me to tell if there is any sign of life? In its prior place in full sun I was getting some minute hints of green, but now it's looking brown and crisp. It's in good soil with some mulch, partial sun, good water.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,957 times
Hi Blossom,
Doesn't sound good for your tree... have you tried cutting into one of the branches to see if it is still supple/moist? If not, it's probably a goner So sad too, because they ar such pretty trees!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
yeah try peeling away a bit of the bark with a knife and see if any 'green' is under there. Try close to the bottom of the plant as most plants die from the top down. Good luck. I hope to plant a dogwood this fall myself.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
I'm in Tennessee and planting a tree in June would be certain death. For dogwoods, in particular, even if you buy one in a pot, it's best to wait until winter to plant them, not September, not October, but when the tree is dormant and the weather is cool/cold. Your luck will be much, much better.

Right now, I'm watching a tree grow that sprouted in one of my front beds. It's a tiny dogwood (8-inches now coming up in a bed of monkey grass) from a seed that came from a derteriorating 45-year-old tree. I don't need to transplant it at all. It's in a good spot already. I got one two years ago the same way. I transplanted the seedling in the winter months and now, in only two years, it's 7 feet tall and bloomed this spring (not much, but it bloomed). I visited a site of an old house years ago where a strip centered was going to be built. I found a 6-ft tree growing out of a wall. I yanked it out by the roots...it's now 18 feet tall and absolutely grateful by blooming profusely. This occurred in January.

Bottom line, don't plant trees in the summer, ever. With a little patience and a good jacket, you'll do great by planting during dormancy. Even in the winter, if it's dry, give them a bit of water from time to time. Good luck with the dogwoods; I have 6 of them and it makes spring a beautiful season.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
thanks everyone and thanks ingledave for the helpful info. I haven't tried cutting down low on the bark yet - the branches are crisp, but there is a hint of green down lower near the base. At this point, I'm just going to let it stay where it is, so if there is any hope, it will have its chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden