Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM

561 posts, read 1,513,014 times

Advertisements

How about other hummingbird feeders out there --

Wow, this year the hummers are very hungry or there are lots more of them! I have two feeders out and am going through 2.5 cups of nectar every day! Last year's rate was no where near as much. Don't have to worry about spoilage in the heat, it doesn't last long enough. I have seen at least 10 circling the feeders and I'm sure more are hanging out in the nearby trees. I haven't seen any nests, but I know they're there. I am absolutely facinated by hummingbirds and just love watching them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 AM

673 posts, read 2,267,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
How about other hummingbird feeders out there --

Wow, this year the hummers are very hungry or there are lots more of them! I have two feeders out and am going through 2.5 cups of nectar every day! Last year's rate was no where near as much. Don't have to worry about spoilage in the heat, it doesn't last long enough. I have seen at least 10 circling the feeders and I'm sure more are hanging out in the nearby trees. I haven't seen any nests, but I know they're there. I am absolutely fascinated by hummingbirds and just love watching them!
Yes, I am fascinated by them, too! I love hearing their little wings and love seeing them go for the nectar. I have noticed, too, that my resident hummingbirds are going through a LOT more nectar in recent weeks. I don't know if this is a seasonal thing or because I started adding a drop of orange extract to my nectar.

I do not worry about spoilage so much either, since I am refilling my feeder quite frequently. I also have mine hanging on my front porch, which is out of the direct sun, so I do not worry as much about spoilage as I would if I had the feeder out in the yard.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Yes, I think they are "tanking-up" for their journey...I had read someplace that you should take down the feeders on Labor Day to encourage them to start the migration...but I don't have the heart to do that!! Just when they need all the energy they can get..I think they know when to leave.. have never seen any hanging around for the winter

Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,968 times
Nice picture, Calvitts! Your plants look nice and lush as well. I have noticed more hummingbirds this summer as well, but I think they are slowing down here in our area. Where do they migrate to? That makes sense that they do, but they are such small things its hard to imagine them traveling any great distance. They are so fun to watch!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times
We are also noticing LOTS of hummers at our three feeders and they are really combative with each other! We're refilling every day, too. I just hope we're feeding them enough for their journeys south.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
Nice picture, Calvitts! Your plants look nice and lush as well. I have noticed more hummingbirds this summer as well, but I think they are slowing down here in our area. Where do they migrate to? That makes sense that they do, but they are such small things its hard to imagine them traveling any great distance. They are so fun to watch!
Thanks, JnR. The photo was taken on my front porch; I was standing in the doorway, trying to get as close as possible... I've got to find my zoom lens!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Thank you for your lovely photo, Calvitts.

A bird naturalist who studied Hummingbirds once told me that Hummingbirds are basically unafraid of anyone. Not Owls, not Condors, not Eagles, no one -- because they are faster than anyone else and they know it, and have no predators.

The people of the Peruvian Andes, exclusive home to several Hummingbirds, know that Hummingbird carries messages from humans to the gods while Condor carries messages from the gods to the people. And it's from being so close to the sun that Hummingbird got her iridescence.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
I have noticed the same thing - wondering if the same thing that is plaguing the bees has affected the production of natural nectar for the birds. I have gone through 56 pounds of sugar this summer - just to make the sugar water for the humming birds and bees in my yard. That's a new record. The swarms just never seem to stop coming!

I, too heard that people should stop putting feeders out in mid-September to encourage the hummers to migrate. Nothing doing. Migration is inbred and they know when to leave better than people do. My feeders stay full until they stop coming.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 PM

561 posts, read 1,513,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Yes, I think they are "tanking-up" for their journey...I had read someplace that you should take down the feeders on Labor Day to encourage them to start the migration...but I don't have the heart to do that!! Just when they need all the energy they can get..I think they know when to leave.. have never seen any hanging around for the winter
I have heard this too, but also read that their urge to migrate is much stronger than the urge to keep eating! The rule of thumb I've read is to leave your feeders up for at least two weeks after you saw the last hummingbird feeding. They will start migrating soon, and some will stop by the feeders on their way south. I did that last year, and it didn't create any problems, the hummers went south. However, they did surprise me with an early return. I happened to be out on the porch, where I keep my feeders, and one came calling looking at my wind chimes. I hurridly ran and got my feeder filled. I was so thrilled!

I know they leave again this year, but I'll be waiting for them next. I sure miss them when they're gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Lots of Hungry Hummingbirds!-yard-house-197.jpg  

Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I have heard this too, but also read that their urge to migrate is much stronger than the urge to keep eating! The rule of thumb I've read is to leave your feeders up for at least two weeks after you saw the last hummingbird feeding. They will start migrating soon, and some will stop by the feeders on their way south. I did that last year, and it didn't create any problems, the hummers went south. However, they did surprise me with an early return. I happened to be out on the porch, where I keep my feeders, and one came calling looking at my wind chimes. I hurridly ran and got my feeder filled. I was so thrilled!

I know they leave again this year, but I'll be waiting for them next. I sure miss them when they're gone.
Beautiful photo, Ynot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden