Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times

Advertisements

Our second lawnmower in 10 years just died. Neighbor worked on it for several hours and can't find cause. It's a toro. We borrowed other neighbor's honda (heard they are expensive) and dh loved it. does anyone have thoughts advice or ideas? We live in Florida so it used about 40x per year. Definitely want another self propelled as 10 year old may be inheritating lawn duty help w/in a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
I've been using a Honda commercial (retail about $1,000) self propelled. Does a smack good job of cutting grass, starts unfailingly, but weighs about 130 lbs. It's an absolute beast.

With the self propelled rear wheels all's well.....as long as you're going forward. But turning, backing, anything but forward, and you're hauling every ounce of that 130 lbs. This mower really wears me out.

I had been using a John Deere commercial, not nearly as heavy. Also did a fine job of cutting grass, also self propelled, but it wasn't always easy to start and seemed to require a lot of repairs and maintenance.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
My dad bought a new Craftsman push mower when my brother and I moved out of the house. He wanted one that would just be used just by him and not by us mowing yards around town. That was in '75 and he is still using it. The only problem is has had with it was the bolts that attach the gas tank broke. The gas tank has been held on by duct tape for 3 or 4 years now. It isn't self proprelled. He says at 85 and still mowing his own yard, he wants to mow at his speed, not the mowers! lol

Old 08-29-2008, 06:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,407 times
Mine's a Basque, "self-propelled, does a smack good job of cutting grass, starts unfailingly, weighs about 160 lbs," easy payments of $100 a month, recently raised from the $80.00 he's charged for the last 20 years.

Sometimes he runs a little loud, especially when he brings his annoying kid with him, and on hot days he gives off a bit of a smell, but all in all he's pretty low maintenance and nothing seems to be held on with duct tape.

Wot?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:16 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
We have 3 mowers, none over 5 years old. 2 are Craftsman, 1 is a Toro. None of them run. The Toro only lasted for 3 mowings. All 3 look, and practically are, brand new. Always kept garaged. No one will come out to repair them here; I'd have to haul 'em all over to a repair shop. I have a pick-up, but it's usually full (that runs fine!). Sooooo...we pay the kid next door $50 a pop to keep the lawn mowed!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Nothing runs like a Deere.

15 years old. Starts every time on the first pull, except when it comes out of winter storage (Stored outside in a Rubbermaid unit with the gas siphoned out). Usually takes 2 or 3 then.

Best lawnmower I've ever owned, bar none.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Nothing runs like a Deere.

15 years old. Starts every time on the first pull, except when it comes out of winter storage (Stored outside in a Rubbermaid unit with the gas siphoned out). Usually takes 2 or 3 then.

Best lawnmower I've ever owned, bar none.
Ditto. Our John Deere 21" self-propelled is about 18 years old. Change the oil, drain the fuel in the winter, keep the blade sharp. Had to replace the gas line a few years ago. The rope on the recoil starter got old and broke as well. Total of about $40 repairs in 18 years. Not a bad per year cost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden