Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times

Advertisements

I'm in Haiti right now, had watermelon and I suggested that we save the seeds to plant here to grow more watermelons
then was told, that if the plant was a "hybrid" plant that the seeds will not reproduce
I was told that someone gave lots of seeds to the local people here, but they refused them because they were "hybrid" seeds
just curious, never heard this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Some hybrid seeds will be sterile. Some will just revert back to one of the original parents or be something completely different. Let the seeds dry out for a week or so. Put them on a paper towel in a cool, out of sun area inside the house. Once they're dry, you can test the germination by putting them in between moist paper towels in a ziplock bag or some other kind of plastic. Put them in a warm spot, like on top of the computer, fridge, or somewhere else that the temperature is likely to remain above room temperature. If you don't have sprouting seeds within 2 weeks, they're likely duds and won't be viable.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
"Only the first generation of seed resulting from the cross of the parent plants, the F1 hybrid generation, will produce the exact combination of desired traits."

Is Saving Garden Seeds a Saving? (http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets2/landsnurs/aug88pr3.html - broken link)

You can use them if they sprout, but then you couldn't save any seed from that fruit. I assume these people are seed savers. If they plant what you give them, they'll have nothing for the next crop.

Hybrid Varieties and Saving Seed

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
thanks so much for the information, I grew up on a farm and we always have a big garden but I didn't know this
and yes, they save the seeds to every thing
guess that is why they didn't want the seeds that we gave them

Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
We use alot of heirloom seeds that can be used year after year if you save the seeds.

Seed Savers Exchange
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden