Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 05:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

I've used a company to treat the lawn at a house I bought in the last year. This year they have proposed a 7 treatment program. Three weed control doses and 4 fertilizations. Each treatment runs $65, and I have 6000 sqft of lawn. Im in N. Central Ok, is this excessive?

I was wondering if I just added a bag or two of weed & feed myself.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 05:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
When the economy goes south and you lose customers you have to increase your income somehow. Sounds like you're the cash cow.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
We had some bad weed issues in south Florida and I tried one of these services for a couple seasons to try to get it under control. There are no magic fixes, and if you have plants you have to be careful where they spray the weedkiller. OTOH, personally, I hate Atrazine, which is the primary component in the over the counter Weed-n-feed type of product. For it to work, it has to be applied at particular times, and it leaches into the groundwater and seems to last for an ungodly amount of time. 2-4-D and roundup are sweeties in comparison. Some of the chemicals that the lawn services use are horrendously expensive, and much better at targeting particular problems.

The cost of fertilizer has gone up a lot since the price of energy shot up, and the cost of running the trucks is higher, so I'm not surprised if the services are charging more. Otherwise, they would just dilute product to cut costs. If your lawn has problems, use the service and absolutely call them back for a free re-spray if the weeds don't disappear. If your lawn is fine, skip the service, get a soil test, and contact the county extension service for tips. Just my opinion.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
seems about right $$. I had 10 visits for $48/visit but yard may be smaller. !st house worked wonders (S.Florida) New house had for a year (N. Florida) didn't see any difference and cancelled. The only thing I hated was each month they called to solicit additional services.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
oildog:
You could ask some other companies in your area for quotes, then choose the level of service you want. Keep in mind that oftentimes the big names are more about advertising and less about service. You may be better off selecting a less well known company that you have confidence in. Of course this will cost a little more. You should also look for a company that will customize their program to meet your needs. Too many times the big guys will fill up a truck and run thru their customer lists providing the same treatments for everybody whether they need it or not. Also, it is very important to choose a company that has the proper certifications for your state. It is illegal for a company to apply any pesticide without a state certification.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
If you have the time to DIY, it' not rocket science - You can probably just apply any decent weed-n-feed from your local big box or hardware store.

Judging from your location "soon to be Houston", if you are getting ready to sell, a really lush green lawn adds a lot of curb appeal. *I* wouldn't pay more for a house with a lush lawn, but most people will. Just a thought.

Rtom45 makes a good point about getting a treatment customized to your actual needs as opposed to a big truck that just gives everybody on the route a shot of "whatever" and goes on.

We live out in the country and I'm not trying to make the lawn look as good as Pebble Beach, OK, but what I do is just use a mulching lawnmower, dump wood ashes on the lawn during the winter, spreading them out good, and during the season I occasionally spray broadleaf weeds with 2-4-D. Occasionally I'll spread some fertilizer but not every year. The lawn would not win any awards but looks better than OK for peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden