Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

Last week I pulled a mouse nest out from under the cowling of the tiller. It had nested near the magneto so I was aware it was there. Today, I ran the lawnmower for ten minutes, only to have it stop. Another mouse had nested in it and clogged the air cooling. Haven't been able to get it restarted even after clearing it out. Be forewarned when putting equipment back into service after the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Set traps around the area you store your equipment and check them often. It is better to catch a mouse before it can nest and certainly before it can have babies. I use peanut butter as it stays on the traps awhile.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
A cat or two can help with this. We have 5 and I see them killing mice all the time.

Do what you can to deny the mice food and water, depending on your situation this could be practical and effective or not.

Bugspray.com has "tin cat" type wind-up repeating mouse traps, check them out, they work pretty well.

I hate mice too, and have no mercy on them.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Some folks I know set up 5 gallon buckets, fill them halfway with water, then float those styrofoam packing peanuts on the top in a thick layer. Then they put the bait - peanutbutter - or whatever on a dangling ball of string from a stick suspended over the bucket. The mice try to walk on the peanuts to get to the bait and drown.

You can try all sorts of designs with this; without the peanuts, use half of a paper plate set to 'flip' on wires when the mouse's weight is on the baited side suspended over the water, etc. A lot easier than trying to open a spring trap with an injured (or faking) mouse in it. Just pitch the bucket of water...

Old 03-29-2009, 04:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
I'll tell you how to get rid of them. Go get some Portland cement, wheat flour and mix them half and half. Just mix them, don't add water or anything. Put this in a pie pan or some container like it that is easy for mice to get to and wont have a good chance of getting wet. This will get rid of the mice and not harm pets if they happen to find a mouse body and eat it.
I used this in a pie pan filled about 3/4 full with it under a board big enough to cover it with two bricks to hold the board up over the pan. I had them under the house, in the barn, garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden