Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM

93 posts, read 269,937 times

Advertisements

I'm new to gardening, so apologies if answer sounds obvious, I'm trying to avoid making an expensive mistake.

When manuals give hardiness as a range, does this mean that the plant can be grown without problems at the bottom of the range and does it also mean that higher hardiness zones might be too mild for the plant? For instance if they say "plant X is hardy in zones 5-7," can I grow it in zones 5 and/or 11?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,731,584 times
The hardiness scale is a rating of expected winter low temperatures for the area. It is a general idea at best as so many other factors can come into play, micro climates and such. The plant hardiness rating is an indicator of the lowest temperatures the plant can be expected to survive.

But that's very inexact. For example in Texas, it's the summer that kills plants, not winter. A lot of plants won't stand to be baked day and night for six months a year.

Also many plants have a preference for the PH factor of soil they like. Few plants like a higher PH which is alkaline, no matter what the summer high temps or winter lows are. The best PH for most plants is a neutral 6.0

IMHO the zone hardiness rating system is not very useful when choosing which plants will do well in your area.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,163,511 times
Hardiness doesn't refer to soil. It refers to the USDA hardiness map. Find your location on the map below and that will be your Zone. National Arboretum - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

I am in NC in zone 7b. I can grow plants that are hardy to zones 11-7, which is rare since most zone 11 plants are tropicals. And I can grow things hardy to zones 7-3, which is not uncommon. You want plants that your zone falls within. You can sometimes stretch these zones a little. Some verbena is sold as an annual although in my zone, it may come back next year. Dahlias are like that too. I can grow them and leave the tubers in the ground and have new plants regrow next year if I mulch them well in the fall. Same with cannas. But a zone 4 canna will need to be dug out of the ground and stored over the winter.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
But that's very inexact. For example in Texas, it's the summer that kills plants, not winter. A lot of plants won't stand to be baked day and night for six months a year.

Also many plants have a preference for the PH factor of soil they like. Few plants like a higher PH which is alkaline, no matter what the summer high temps or winter lows are. The best PH for most plants is a neutral 6.0

IMHO the zone hardiness rating system is not very useful when choosing which plants will do well in your area.
Very good advice. Heat kills more in NC than cold too. PH is another issue. We can grow azaleas and camellias, but not bluebonnets.

The best way to choose plants for your area, is to see what others are growing. Visit public gardens, talk to neighbors, see what the nurseries are selling and ask questions either here or there.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
The ranges differ from site to site and book to book; it's always better to be conservative. I live on the border of 6b and 7a. If I'm looking for a hardy perennial, and that's usually what I want, I choose something that will do well, be cold hardy to zone 6, 5, or better and survive in zone 7b or 8 at least. When you become a more experienced gardener you can figure out all of the intricacies of micro climates, planting deeper or higher, mulching for winter at just the right time and removing the ultra heavy mulch to warm the soil in the spring, or overwintering plants in the house. People perform miracles with plants that should not survive in the region where they are planted. With all of the other considerations like sun, shade, exposure, soil type, moisture, it's a lot more fun gardening with plants which are expected to live rather than having to replant every year because of your mistakes. Don't get me wrong, experimentation is good. That is how you will learn.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 AM

Hardiness can also be affected by soil quality, moisture, and sun/shade. Too wet and shady in the winter can lead to root rot. Too dry and sunny can lead to drying out of the roots and crown. Experiment and above all else, ask people who garden near you what they have the best luck with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden