Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM

172 posts, read 535,700 times

Advertisements

LOL @ tennis racket...that'd probably work better than the spray my husband uses..those lil bastards are quick!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM

181 posts, read 692,420 times
Default Spray

Spray brake cleaner will kill them almost on contact. Caulk the holes and trap any inside and they will die.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:01 PM

160 posts, read 801,694 times
Emma you made me laugh when I read your first post. That's exactly how I feel about those bastards! We have log siding and they just love it. Can't sit outside from Mid-April until about the first week of June. They hover in your face, dive bomb your head and attack my dogs. I HATE them. What's been working for us this year, and I found it by googling "how to kill carpenter bees" is WD-40 applied with the straw attachment inside their tunnel. I do this every evening when they go inside. At the end of their season in June I'm going to calk all their holes SHUT!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
carpenter bees do sting, it's another name for bumble bees. They are both, black and yellow, males are a bit more golden tho. Mostly docile will sting if they around you enough, i would know. Live in the boon docks of tennessee.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:33 PM

22,583 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily k View Post
carpenter bees do sting, it's another name for bumble bees.
Nope. That is incorrect.

They are two different things.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Carpenter Bees bore 1/2 in holes in wood and can make your home look like swiss cheese. The females can sting but the males do not have a stinger. Male Carpenter Bees have white on their head as where females do not. Carpenter Bees look like Bumble Bees except their abdomen is smooth, shiney and black.

Summary: Both bees are large and colorful. Bumble bees nest in small colonies often in the ground while carpenter bees are solitary and build their nests in wood, sometimes causing minor damage. Carpenter bees are also called wood-boring bees
Difference Between Bumble Bees (Bumblebee) And Wood Boring Carpenter Bees

Old 10-05-2014, 08:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Carpenter bees can be hard to kill because they rarely land like wasps. Wasps land every couple of seconds, and I smack or spray them. Carpenter bees just seem to hover forever.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Carpenter bees can be hard to kill because they rarely land like wasps. Wasps land every couple of seconds, and I smack or spray them. Carpenter bees just seem to hover forever.
Puff Drione Dust (pyrethrins) in their holes if you can reach them. When you're in their territory, they'll usually swoop down to check you out. Make sure you're holding a can of brake cleaner when that happens.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
I built a little bee trap I saw on youtube. It caught about 15 last year. I haven't seen many this year.
The trap is just a little wood box with a pop bottle attached to the bottom. 1/2 inch holes are drilled in the box for the bees to enter and a large hole for the pop bottle. The bees seem to be attracted to the holes. They go in than are attracted by the light coming from the clear pop bottle. Once in they can't find their way out. Search "carpenter bee trap"

Old 10-09-2014, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
To get rid of Carpenter Bees you have to replace the woods and donot use powder posion DRIONE because it is harmful for humans so use some natural way to kill them otherwise consult some professionals.there is a link brooklynpestcontrolservices.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden