Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times

Advertisements

We replaced our fence at the end of bee season last year and sure enough - NO carpenter bees by the house this year! It was a pleasant change! We do still have carpenter bees around our shed though - but that's fine since we only go in there 3-4x a season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmataylor View Post
To get rid of Carpenter Bees you have to replace the woods and donot use powder posion DRIONE because it is harmful for humans so use some natural way to kill them otherwise consult some professionals.there is a link brooklynpestcontrolservices.com
I didn't suggest anyone snort it.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/pyrethrins.pdf

Old 10-10-2014, 03:07 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
They make battery charged tennis rackets that work well on them. They let out an electric charge and zap them when you swing and hit.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 649 times
I have a true and tested way to kill carpenter bees. Buy Bayer carpenter ant and termite killer. Get you a long pair of tweezers a bag of cotton balls, some half inch corks and some chemical resistant long sleeve gloves and safety glasses. (need all this cause this process can be a health risk, but it is worth it. tear a cotton ball in half. Take the long tweezers and dip it into the bottle, (yes, the pure stuff). Push the soaked cotton ball into the hole as far as it will go. Wipe any drips with a wet rag so it doesn't stain cedar or pine. Put a cork in the hole. The young attempt or eat through the cotton ball to get out and it kills them grave yard dead. I had 268 holes in a cedar log home and had fought the bees for years. Used this method one year and the next year I had 18 hole open back up. I treated them the same way and the following year I had 6. I continue to have three or four a year but they are easy to keep up with. There are just a few active bees buzzing around each spring now and I practice my backswing using my racket. It's great fun. Yes, I treated all 268 holes the first year and it was worth it. Be careful, the full strength stuff is pretty powerful and getting it on your skin is not a good idea. If you take your time and you are careful I guarantee you will have great results. I have hesitated to share my secret because I was afraid folks would poo poo on it because I risked using full strength product. My thought is that full strength would last on the cotton ball sealed in the tunnel and it does. If you don't have success with this method I will return you money I charged you for the advice. I would love to hear your comments at heyjmh@gmail.com. Have fun murdering carpenter bees and saving your structure.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My son and his friend grab their tennis rackets and nail the suckers whenever one comes hovering near. They killed 20 in one weekend!

I hate those darn things.

WE DO THE SAME THING!! hahaha.. We extend the handle by about 6' and use lighter badminton rackets. We started calling it BEEminton, actually turns into a fun competition if you have 2 or more guys doing it. We probably look like lunatics to anyone driving by, cause they don't see the bees, they just see us running around like idiots swinging at nothing. You can absolutely kill off 20+ bees in one weekend.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,683 times
My solution to carpenter bees is relatively simple and highly effective. No poisons are necessary. Make a carpenter bee trap! Plenty of designs are available on youtube and they are simple to build or perhaps purchase. I got tired of having to replace fascia boards and this has solved the problem.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:12 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Fill the holes. Make sure the wood is painted or treated in some way, naked wood is what they relish. Replace wood that has been badly infested. We also find spray works well. It doesn't always kill them but if you can hit the bees with the spray it seems to scare them off.

Carpenter bees cause a lot of damage, but worse are the woodpeckers who will peck on your house once insects get into the wood.

Other bees are just fine, though.

We fill and stain the holes as soon as they appear; but you can still get more. Before I fill them I usually spray with an insect killer.

Yes; I like to stop all bugs from eating our wood siding before the woodpeckers attack - but that doesn't always work. Last year I replaced the corner molding on our house with Cedar molding (thinking that no bugs would attack the Cedar and no woodpeckers would attack the bugs). The very first day I put it up and applied fresh stain the little buggers attacked and I was out there again with the wood putty and stain!

There is no simple solution to woodpeckers since they are all highly protected. They don't listen when you shout at them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden