Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I'd be inclined to scatter wild flower seeds. (so easy, roughing up the soil, scattering seed, little more roughing and you're done)

Usually a couple of choices in the wild flower seed packet mixes re climate/area. Whatever comes up will be easy growing and low maintenance .. and come back over the years.

Always fun seeing what pops up.
this is a terrific suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Warning! Danger! RED ALERT!!!
It's not a good idea to plant flowers in the root zone of the tree. Do not pile topsoil or other gardening mediums on top of the trees root zone. IT can harm the tree, if not kill it, and the competition between the tree and flowers not to mention shade & getting trampled on is a losing battle.

Here's an idea. Hanging flower baskets. They look far more professional (when hung from lamp posts or other posts) and do not pose any health issues to trees.

All of my VERY healthy trees have had layer after layer after layer of much piled over their roots for the last 20 years. In addition they all have flowers of one kind or another planted under them. Not sure about the shade and trampled on comment and what it means. All my trees have shade under them (!) and I trample around under them all the time. I do have a commercial service fertilize them every couple of years.

Thank you for the warning....

Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
I would not worry about doing some modest planting underneath trees. The plants will, in fact, act as a kind of "living mulch". It is important not to pile dirt up against the trunk, as trunk parts are ill suited to constantly damp conditions (root parts do just fine below ground). . . Anyone intersted in the basic anatomy of trees might want to take a look at the books by Alex Shigo. Stunningly correct, and easy to understand, even for an amateur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden