Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,076 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what is a good, low maintenance grass to grow in Florida? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,713 times
The most common turfgrasses in florida are

1.) Bahia (do not plant!!! You will regret it!!!)
2.) St. Augustine
3.) Bermuda
4.) Centipede
5.) carpetgrass

in that order.

Grass in florida... in general... is low maintenance in the sense the soils are high in phosphorus, not as much fertilization req'd and rainfall is usually abundant except for the spring dry spell. BUT it's the mowing requirement that you have to be careful of. #4 is considered the 'lazy man's grass' for slow growth. #5 is for primarily wet areas. #2 is the best performer in shade but very coarse tuextured #3 is not so good in shade but fine textured dark color. #1 is just plain terribile so don't let anyone talk you into planting that. It has no business being a home lawn.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post

1.) Bahia (do not plant!!! You will regret it!!!)

LOL. Yeah, I have a mixture of Bahia, Centipede, and St Augustine. The Bahia is much more drought tolerant than the other two, but those darn seed heads require mowing about once a week, even when it's dry.

If you're able to water it, St Augustine would be my top choice. Watering is not an option for me as my front yard alone is 2 acres.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,713 times
Once a week???
Um.
No, try once a day.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,076 times
What is wrong with bahia grass and is that the type that has the seed heads that look like a Y? If so, there is already some of that growing in my yard now.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
I have a friend in the Land o' Lakes area who raves about his Zoysia lawn.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,210,090 times
I'm planning on converting my St Augustine lawn into sunshine mimosa. I've seen some nicce laws with perennial peanut as well. You don't have to go with grass.....

Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,145 times
The gras that can grow in Florida are the kinds that grows above the soil line rooting within the soil. In Pennsylvania we call this a weed but here the Bahia brand has deep roots that often die during drought conditions but always comes back within a few weeks.

Zoysia looks good and tends to drown out other grass and plants. St Augustine is well recommended and the dwarft varieties such as Seville, Delmar, and Palmetto are slowly gaining good recognition due to their slow growth and low maintenance issues.

Floratam grass in my opinion is the best looking and requires irrigation often. It also dies when and if temps go to around 40 or below degrees. Also most Florida grasses usually get laid in plots and not seeds. Floritam can be picked up in plots and plugs as can Zoysia grass.

Florida grasses require a lot of maintenenace and if not your grass will look like my friends neighbor's lawn....Dirt and sand with spots of irregular green growth until the wet weather.......

Old 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
What is wrong with bahia grass and is that the type that has the seed heads that look like a Y? If so, there is already some of that growing in my yard now.
Yes thats bahia, I think nearly every yard in the deep south has at least some. The main drawback to it is the seed heads, which require frequent mowing. If you move them at night you'll notice it looks like smoke comes off of them, my grandmother calls the seed heads "smut weeds".

Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
My neighbor across the street has a beautiful Bahia lawn and she doesnt do much to it except keep it mowed but it took some work to get it that way.

I had the most beautiful lawn of Pursley on my street until cold nipped it one year and I finished it off with a mismarked bottle. After that, had one failure after another until i gave up and my front yard is now a flower garden with paths and a fountain and even vegetables planted in some beds. I have a very small front yard and am really planting on the Right of Way but, oh well. Also over my septic tank and drainfields but I do a lot of pot plantings and am very careful what I plant if it is in the ground.

My back yard is oaks and Floratam and requires a lot of water.

Water is a precious commodity anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden