Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM

596 posts, read 2,877,648 times

Advertisements

Is this ok to do, or better to go into the local nursery? Would really like a trustworthy place to order from online anyways, though. Kind of want both options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Is this ok to do, or better to go into the local nursery? Would really like a trustworthy place to order from online anyways, though. Kind of want both options.
Plants shipped from catalog orders tend to be quite small. Unless you are looking for something rather difficult to find, I highly recommend you visit your local nursery centers for plants.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,520,520 times
yep I agree with nurseries especially for trees. I got some great deals on some trees last fall at my local nursery. And some have websites and you can sign up for emails announcing their sales. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 PM

855 posts, read 2,397,253 times
I tend to agree with the above statement. Unless it's something that is hard to come by it's generally best to stick with local nurseries.

There are however, plenty of good online nurseries but it's best to do some background checking on them before you go ordering from them. There are plenty that offer you the sun and the moon but will rip you off without thinking twice about it. My wife tried ordering from such a place around 6-7 years ago because it sounded like such a great deal but it was just a waste of time and money.

I did find one that I like that I order from a couple of times a year and have been very happy with them. I received a five gallon Coppertina Ninebark from them yesterday that blew me away when I removed it from the box. Nicest plant I've ever received from a mail order company but actually fairly typical of their products.

A good resource (That may have already been posted here at C-D at some point) for anyone interested in mail order nurseries is Garden Watchdog:

Guide to Gardening by Mail, Mail Order Gardening, and Catalogs

Reviews and comments from ordinary people like you and I that do help in sorting through the good and bad. At the bottom you can locate them by state, so you could possibly find a reputable one nearby that does local sales as well as mail order. I found the site after my wife's experience and sure enough, the place she had ordered from had almost nothing but negative comments.

If you do order from a mail order company, try to order from one relatively close to you if possible. The one I mentioned is about 240 miles west of us and anything I order usually arrives in two days or less. The less time a plant spends in a box the better.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 AM

596 posts, read 2,877,648 times
Thanks very much for the excellent advice. I was going to ask you where you ordered from, but in light of the suggestion I find one closer to me and refer to your link/guide to gardening by mail I changed my mind. I know a few people who can also benefit from that guide - thanks for sharing.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,635,836 times
I love Tropiflora for my plants. They have tons of bromeliads and various exotics that you will never see at a typical nursery. I have no idea what zone you are in though, in most parts of the country the plants they sell would not survive outdoors.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
I know a few people who can also benefit from that guide - thanks for sharing.
That site, Dave's Garden, is an outstanding resource for information on plants. Look around some while you're there and you'll find more information than you ever thought possible.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM

496 posts, read 1,055,452 times
Here are 2 sites that I order from and are not too expensive on your pocket
Henry Field's Seed & Nursery: A household name for all your vegetable & flower seeds since 1820 (http://henryfields.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1247763674 - broken link)
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1275 Heirloom Garden Seed Varieties!
Henryfields has alot of buy 1 get 1 deals and rareseeds has alot of unusal seeds you you can't find anywhere else
Good Luck to ya

Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
My sister uses daves garden and she also uses jackson and perkins . she really likes both of them and the plants are always healthy when they get there . she used to find some really cheap ones at home depot ,plants that is . she told me she also uses the home depot clearance isle yes they have a clearance aisle for plants as well .

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 PM

855 posts, read 2,397,253 times
This was the shrub I received Tuesday from Moonshine Designs. A Coppertina Ninebark, ordered 7/8, shipped 7/13 (They only ship on Monday at this time of the season), received 7/14 and planted the same day. It's easily three feet tall.

I've received some good stock from them but I was almost giddy when I took this out of the box. "Vicky! Vicky! Look at this shrub!"

I even took it across the street to show a neighbor who likes to garden. She couldn't believe it came mail order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden