Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow gardeners
New to zone 1-3 for three summers now. I have an ancient apple tree in the yard that was loaded the first summer, nothing the second and now loaded again. My research show that there are varieties like this.
Now my question
Do I prune it as hard as I did in my former zone 4-6?
Do I prune it at all? I have asked around and since it is a rarity here no one seems to know.
The extension shows regular pruning but this tree has been neglected for along time, I think it even has concrete in one side of the trunk.
Advice? TIA
BTW the apples are puny, but the squirrlies like em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
My old, old neighbor years ago when I was very young mentioned that some apples only bore fruit every other year, I seem to remember. I was 7 or 8 at the time and was more interested in watching him do grafting (fire and knives). Maybe clean the tree up and see what happens. Could it be lack of pollinators? That happened with my cherries this year, they flowered at different times because of the flukey Spring weather so I (rather the birds) got very few.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Now that is something that did not occur to me!
There is an old crab-apple tree in the yard also, could they be cross pollinating?
Basic Biology
Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
This is more or less what I deal with for a living. Although more with landscape trees, fruit trees in winter.

A pollinator can be handy, but there are several factors that can be out of your hands. Can some flowers get damaged some years from cold temps? Could a powerful wind storm or rain shower wash or take away a lot of pollen? Smaller population of insects on certain years?

The one thing you have in your control, is moderate routine pruning every year between late October to about the end of February. Pruning "hard" generally seems to trigger more problems than just doing it moderately, and renovating over a period of years.

The big difference with a professional, is not neccessarily knowing what to remove by pruning. Its often knowing what not to remove. But homeowners can learn this, and the best chance to succeed is by going at it easy.

Never hurts to thin 5% out in the summer, usually.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Many trees even if they bear every year, will be very light every alternate year as well. Growing up we had a golden delicious that was like this. They are self pollinators. We did not prune or anything. Just sprayed in the springtime.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I had the Golden Delicious too, about 30 years old and never trimmed. During drought years, the branches would be so loaded they'd touch the ground from the weight. Otherwise, they were deer food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden