Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 02:01 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I lay awake nights designing a really nice potting station. I've looked onlline and I guess I should check some books but I guess I'll have to combine elements from several designs. Anybody have a great source for a potting stand or suggestions about what you would like or what you would avoid?
Here's my dream list:

taller than average cause I'm 5'10'
can't be attached to our little shed so it will have to have a back
running water is a must so a nice sink with a plug would be great
shelves for pots of different sizes
pegboard or hooks for tools but everything will be open to the elements
drop in basin or pail for easy access to potting soil
slatted section for easy clean up
lots of storage underneath for large bags of potting soil, vermiculite, etc.
places for marking pens, labels

What have I left out? What would your ideal potting station have? Dream with me please....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What have I left out?
Speakers and a cup holder.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:02 PM

paperhouse- I know you jest but actually a cup holder is necessary-don't need the speakers though. I like the sound of the deer nibbling my hosta and daylillies!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
my mom had a portable "sifter" attached to her gardening table. It was the mesh chicken wire stapled to a wooden frame. You could shovel dirt up into it...then shake it to clean out rocks and sticks and stuff. A big plactic storage bin caught the dirt.

This might help if you mix your own soil.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
If it is free-standing outside on the porch or next to a shed, you could devise a lovely overhang to shade yourself during preparation or keep water off during a storm. Grow something on that to make it feel...roooomaaaaantic.

Mine...well...I have two...both have towel bar/dowels on the side to hold either...towels...or garbage bags, or...hooks everywhere. Dandy drawers on one with a mesh wire front (so the spiders can see me coming) and cut-out inserts for small pots. One has a galvanized aluminum top on the bench and I keep that one under the covered porch. The other is older and quite weathered, having been exposed to the elements over several years before finding shelter.

Oh - the bottom rack, what might be called a shelf...I ran an expandable curtain rod under there and hung a small valance...so I can still get in there but not have to look at the stuff I'm storing.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
paperhouse- I know you jest but actually a cup holder is necessary-don't need the speakers though. I like the sound of the deer nibbling my hosta and daylillies!!!
I think you pretty much covered all the basics with your first post. I tend to work in my basement wherever there's an empty horizontal space. It would be nice to have everything in one spot, outside. But then I'd have to work outside in the winter when I sow my perennial seeds in December. So maybe two potting stations. I'd love to have a shed/greenhouse with a potting bench. Maybe next year.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I had a small bottle of soft soap and a nail brush so I could get the worst of the muck off my hands outside rather than sending a lot of dirt down the kitchen or bathroom sink and maybe clogging it up.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 AM

good suggestions all. Thanks. One will have to do, although we do have an empty stall in our 3 car garage. But DH says he needs that space for 4 million screws, hammers, nails, shop vacs etc. Funny thing is how come he has to "run to Home Depot" everytime a project comes up? Because he has so many "supplies" he can't find what he needs. and around we go. But I'm just as bad with my gardening, sewing and craft supplies so I guess I shouldn't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden