Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 AM

10 posts, read 63,365 times

Advertisements

Recently relocated to Phoenix, AZ and have been killing some time feeding the birds (in between job searches).

This guy has decided the feeder belongs to him and chases off any others that want a snack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
anza.................

Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,824 times
Looks a little like a female ruby-throated hummingbird to me

We get them here in the summer and they are VERY territorial - there's always one that seems to be self-appointed "Alpha Hummer" and spends all its time (and energy!!!!!) chasing off others.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
I agree, does look like an immature female ruby-throated, (the male immature have a spotted throat that slowly turns to red) I've been feeding them for years and neither age, size, gender, nor coloration have anything to do with their aggressiveness, and, they are fearless, from time to time one will alight on the southern end of my northbound German Shepherd, they also seem to think of the cats as practice targets. Their language sometimes makes sailors blush.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I agree, does look like an immature female ruby-throated, (the male immature have a spotted throat that slowly turns to red) I've been feeding them for years and neither age, size, gender, nor coloration have anything to do with their aggressiveness, and, they are fearless, from time to time one will alight on the southern end of my northbound German Shepherd, they also seem to think of the cats as practice targets. Their language sometimes makes sailors blush.

When I go out to change the nectar in the feeders they will often hover inches from my face as if to say 'Hey!!!!!!!!! WTH do you think you're doing at my feeder?"

Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Looks a little like a female ruby-throated hummingbird to me

We get them here in the summer and they are VERY territorial - there's always one that seems to be self-appointed "Alpha Hummer" and spends all its time (and energy!!!!!) chasing off others.
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I totally agree with both posts above.

Get use to it...we've been feeding these spoiled brats for 15 years. They expect it. LOL... They really start their chattering-chirp...letting us know..."hey, were empty out here". They don't like an empty feeder. We have plenty of their favorite flowers around...but our hummers are just plain spoiled.

They are headed south now... we went from making 3 quarts of sugar water a DAY...to 1 quart a day. Didn't see many out there this AM.
Even if you don't see any... don't stop making your sugar water...it's better to waste some sugar water & the hummers don't come around...then for hummers to show up & their is no sugar water for them.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:01 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I totally agree with both posts above.

Get use to it...we've been feeding these spoiled brats for 15 years. They expect it. LOL... They really start their chattering-chirp...letting us know..."hey, were empty out here". They don't like an empty feeder. We have plenty of their favorite flowers around...but our hummers are just plain spoiled.

They are headed south now... we went from making 3 quarts of sugar water a DAY...to 1 quart a day. Didn't see many out there this AM.
Even if you don't see any... don't stop making your sugar water...it's better to waste some sugar water & the hummers don't come around...then for hummers to show up & their is no sugar water for them.

LOL, I have two, stick on the glass, window feeders, as well as the hanging ones under the maples in the shade. They will tap on the window pane to get my attention when it gets low on sugar water, if it's empty they get rude.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Did you take that picture? It's amazing in its clarity. Good job.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
Default I had to laugh...ours do the same thing.

Quote:
LOL, I have two, stick on the glass, window feeders, as well as the hanging ones under the maples in the shade. They will tap on the window pane to get my attention when it gets low on sugar water, if it's empty they get rude.

Our hummers do the same thing. They know exactly how hard to hit their beaks on the glass door. Sometimes they just hover in front of the glass door, like they are looking in. No... I take that back...they ARE looking in. Very persistent little buggers...LOL...
When they want to eat...they want to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden