Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times

Advertisements

If you let too many leaves remain on the ground, they create a perfect cool, moist environment for undesirable things such as mold, mosquitos, rodents, etc. I say, keep the leaves to a minimum. Or compost them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
ITA with everyone on the leaves being bad for grass, a heavy layer will kill it. Does your town/city have leaf pick-up each fall? Some offer it for free. For us, we are surrounded by woods so we just blow it and rake it off the lawn into the woods. I do keep a think layer of leaves over my perennials for the winter, though.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows first hand.....whether it's better to rake the leaves in the fall or let it sit there and become food for the soil?

how does that affect the grass next year?
You've been given good advice. As has been said, leaving the leaves just lay there will kill your grass.

A quarter acre is not that big of a space and I'd suggest you look into composting those leaves and cuttings. You can buy a simple inexpensive composter which will turn all those leaves, cuttings and household vegetable waste (carrot peels, cabbage, potato peels, coffee grounds, etc.) into valuable mulch. There have been several threads on composting on this forum so just use the search engine to see how simple it can be!

A simple gas-operated lawnmower with a bag attachment will chop up the leaves and throw them into the bag. If I can buy such a lawnmower here in this US territory for about $150 then I'm guessing that you'll find the same thing MUCH less expensive where you are on the mainland!

Don't be burning your leftovers as that really is such a waste when a simple composter will turn everything into wonderful mulch. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
I haven't raked leaves in years. The guys who mow my lawn simply run over them with a mulching mower.

There are lots of good articles online about the virtues of not bagging your leaves...this one is from Texas A&M's Dept. of Horticultural Sciences:

[SIZE=+3]Don't Bag It - Leaf Management Plan[/SIZE]
During the year, at least 20 percent of the solid waste generated by Texans comes from grass clippings, tree leaves and other landscape wastes. Bagging these materials and placing them into the curbside garbage collection system uses valuable landfill space, removes nutrients from the environment, and costs cities and the people of Texas more in increased taxes and service fees.

Of the landscape waste, approximately half is composed of tree leaves. The "Don't Bag It" Leaf Management Plan is an ecologically sound program designed to significantly reduce the volume of leaves entering community landfills, thereby extending their life and saving tax dollars.

Don't Bag It - Leaf Management Plan

Old 01-30-2010, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 31,772 times
Leaves and grass clippings are best to be left on the ground where the grass is during the year...... But they need to be in mulch fine form so that they let light through for the grass.....it will decompose in place and this enriches the soil and the grass will love you for it....in the winter it can be a heavier layer and re-mowed/mulched in spring at the first mowing.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I mulch mine but don't use a bagger on the mower. Once I mulch I go over the yard one more time to kind of spread it all around better.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatzoysia View Post
Leaving a thick layer of leaves can damage your lawn, as it ultimately prevents sunlight from getting through.

- Steve
A thick layer of anything will harm your grass...but leaves fall in fall, grass goes dormant...so a layer of leaves will not harm a winter lawn. the only harm is if the leaves all blow over to you neighbors yard...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 PM

73 posts, read 284,972 times
I never bag my grass or my leaves. I always just mow and let it stay on the yard. I no longer use chemicals and its the healthiest yard I've had. And since I've stopped using chemicals, the Robins love to come get bugs off the ground.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
I mulch and leave the leaves in tiny pieces on the lawn. Remember that some trees, especially some oaks use the leaves under them to remain healthy.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
A thick layer of anything will harm your grass...but leaves fall in fall, grass goes dormant...so a layer of leaves will not harm a winter lawn. the only harm is if the leaves all blow over to you neighbors yard...
Most of my leaves come from my neighbors trees.... so am I exempt???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden