Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

This thread is interesting because tracing the family tree only takes things so far.

There were Roman soldiers all over the area for quite a while, Ghengis Khan's invasion, brides carried home from other countries....then Napolean marching all over the place and so on and so forth.

So, it would be really interesting to see a genetic test and learn even more.

I personally doubt there was much pressure to change German surnames since:
a) There were so many Germans already in the country
b) Both WW1 and WW2 propaganda were directed towards the Kaiser and Hitler....they really didn't demonize the german people.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One of my all time fave movies, what a great send up of Marlene!
Well Charlotte Rampling does a pretty good job in The Night Porter.:-)

Old 08-10-2010, 05:45 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This thread is interesting because tracing the family tree only takes things so far.

There were Roman soldiers all over the area for quite a while, Ghengis Khan's invasion, brides carried home from other countries....then Napolean marching all over the place and so on and so forth.

So, it would be really interesting to see a genetic test and learn even more.

I personally doubt there was much pressure to change German surnames since:
a) There were so many Germans already in the country
b) Both WW1 and WW2 propaganda were directed towards the Kaiser and Hitler....they really didn't demonize the german people.
Maybe that person was thinking when the Germans immigrated to the US?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM

39 posts, read 285,018 times
America is a land of immigrants. In addition to German immigrants, Italians, British, Dutch, French, Danish, Swedish and others immigrated to the U.S. for better life. Somehow, German last name was changed due to clerical errors? What about surnames of other Europeans?

Also, I know someone hasn't answered this yet. Why is there no German American with last name, "Manstein", "Guderian," "Keitel", "Rommel" and "Donitz"? Or has anyone seen any?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Also, I know someone hasn't answered this yet. Why is there no German American with last name, "Manstein", "Guderian," "Keitel", "Rommel" and "Donitz"? Or has anyone seen any?

No von Klucks either.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Quote:
America is a land of immigrants. In addition to German immigrants, Italians, British, Dutch, French, Danish, Swedish and others immigrated to the U.S. for better life. Somehow, German last name was changed due to clerical errors? What about surnames of other Europeans?

Doing a quick Google search, I found some Guderians interred in Arizona in the 1990s, a Manstein in Philadelphia, Keitels predominantly in NY, PA, MO, and WI, a few Rommels in Wisconsin, and some genealogical postings from an American named Don Doenitz.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
idk, but im green-eyed blond hair german.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Doing a quick Google search, I found some Guderians interred in Arizona in the 1990s, a Manstein in Philadelphia, Keitels predominantly in NY, PA, MO, and WI, a few Rommels in Wisconsin, and some genealogical postings from an American named Don Doenitz.

Any Klinks?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM

112 posts, read 281,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There is no single "German" look anyway, even in Germany. The nordic looking ones up North look a lot different from the darker bavarians.
Bavarians are not "darker". Why should they ? We are not of Italian descent. The Germanic tribe of the Bavarii came from Bohemia.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:

----

Don't forget Hitler. Hittler, Huddler, etc.
The only living relative of Hitler is American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy