Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

Using a professional from the Association for Professional Genealogists is your best option. Or find someone who's certified through the Board for Certification of Genealogists. Anyone can charge you to do genealogy, but that doesn't mean they know what they're doing. If they're APG members, they've agreed to adhere to certain standards, and you have a consumer advocate venue, should you need it.

Be aware a good genealogist will charge about $20. an hour. So it would be very expensive to have someone do a while tree for you.

I've only hired a genealogist twice in my lifetime (I do genealogy because I love to do it, so what's the fun of having someone else do it for you!). One was horrifically bad. Overcharged and underserved. I had to dog him for about a year to get even a simple record. The other was via the BCG/APG route, and did a good job for me, finding the one record I was searching.

I would not recommend trying to hire someone through the LDS church. They're not renowned for their accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
My own opinion is that if you hire anyone associated with LDS. Ancestry, Rootweb, or*anyone who works for these companies they all have an agenda and your information will be on the next Ancestry CD for sale. Why? Because you are essentially paying an employee or paid associate to mine records for their company.

It is the 800# gorlilla in the living room that is the dirty little genealogy secret. Google scrapes lists, emails, boards, forums for information it can sell to the highest bidder. Facebook, Tweets, andevery other social networking is scraped too. The only way to protect your family information is to do your own work and keep it OFF THE INTERNET.

You say that is okay, I wanna share. This is honorable and all well and good until you find your family premanetly entwined with people who are not your direct ancestors. They might be a SIL of one of your anster's BIL's but it is not your ancestor. Let me give you an example.

my mother's paternal aunt and her cousin married cousins from the same XYZ family and they had children. Their children were second cousins. The XYZ historian claimed my mother was related depite the fact auntie had no descenants -- because the XYZ historians' great-grandmother's half-sister narried my mother's great-grandfather and had no issue. I'm tied for life to this moron because a my great auntie's mother-in-law and her step-sister (3rd step-greatgrandmother) either had no children OR their children had no descendants. And this woman also tries to claim my grandmother as kin based on the fact her brother married the sister of the cousin who married the*XYZ cousin, and because grandmother's HUSBAND is antie's brother. Beware the Ides of March. This woman who clains she's done family genealogy for 40 years has no earthly idea what the bloodline is. Antie's sons are the only two cousins in a family of 80 XYZ cousins who are elegible for SAR entry on mother's paternal greatgrandfather. The XYZ historian cannot prove her ancestors served in the RW. She said she was going to claim on mother's greatgrandfather. I laughed. This is what you get today.

Neither LDS or Ancestry will make corrections; they are not interested in accuracy they are interested in gross nimbers or records and the corporate profit.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Neither LDS or Ancestry will make corrections; they are not interested in accuracy they are interested in gross nimbers or records and the corporate profit.
I fully agree with your comments.

Plus, I have also had my genealogy highjacked by an unethical jerk who then made FALSE additions to my information. I had to hunt him down at every genealogy site and demand that he remove my information.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
My own opinion is that if you hire anyone associated with LDS. Ancestry, Rootweb, or*anyone who works for these companies they all have an agenda and your information will be on the next Ancestry CD for sale. Why? Because you are essentially paying an employee or paid associate to mine records for their company.

I agree with you about hiring a "company" to do research. It's a waste of money. However, I disagree with you on the second. It's incorrect. Pedigree charts submitted to the LDS, they will not make corrections to. They will only add your information. However, with Ancestry, the family trees (especially their newest version of family trees) are tied to the researcher who submitted it. You can contact that individual to correct information, and they can do it or not as they see fit (remember, your information might not be correct either!). Or, you can leave a comment on the record, giving what you believe is the correct information. As for their records and records abstracts, you can make corrections. If you find a name on the census transcribed incorrectly, you can correct it, and they will add that "version" to the search engine. You can even give additional information even if it's not on the census. And, you can make comments on the records, too.

I've got to say that though they are the big bad corporate giants in Genealogy, as a 40+ years' genealogist, they do have a darn good product, with some good safeguards. I have posted my genealogy there. But they're in protected tress, that I have to give permission for someone to access. And, they are not "dumped" into an undeletable group. I can delete the information at any time, should I wish to.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
I must say that I disagree with the belief that only those who are with the APB or certified are worth using for research. There are many very good and highly experienced genealogical researchers out there who are NOT certified and they do just as good, if not better in many cases, than those who are certified. It comes down to ethics and any decent researcher, certified or not, should have plenty of good referrals to share if asked. Personally, I have glowing Letters of Recommendation from CEOs, CFOs, university librarians and one from a NJ County Clerk. I am not certified, but I do have 29 years of experience under my belt

Old 12-18-2010, 07:49 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I have posted my genealogy there. But they're in protected tress, that I have to give permission for someone to access. And, they are not "dumped" into an undeletable group. I can delete the information at any time, should I wish to.
I'm glad to hear posters can protect family trees from being messed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I must say that I disagree with the belief that only those who are with the APB or certified are worth using for research. There are many very good and highly experienced genealogical researchers out there who are NOT certified and they do just as good, if not better in many cases, than those who are certified. It comes down to ethics and any decent researcher, certified or not, should have plenty of good referrals to share if asked. Personally, I have glowing Letters of Recommendation from CEOs, CFOs, university librarians and one from a NJ County Clerk. I am not certified, but I do have 29 years of experience under my belt
Cyanna, that sounds true to life. Credentials don't necessarily make a better researcher.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Yes, I can show you records THEY transcribed that has my ancestor and his son-in-law married in 1672. And I can show you records where they transcribed and completely bolloxed my grandfather name because the transcriber doesn't know the difference between the letter T and the letter Y. The wholly church of utah will not change IT with documented proof. Other churches will and do regularly. The Utah Holy Grail of Genealogy claims my copyrighted information belongs to them. I did not give to them. to a church or anyone else. They did not seek permission to use it. And they removed MY Copyright. I have yet to receive one penny compensation from their theft.

If you are smart, you will RUN from these people and their scams. Theydo NOT care not about you, your feelings, or your family. They do NOT care about your information. They WANT your checks and your credit cards. They WANT your current address and your current email, too. I have a P.O. Box, a throw away email, and a file of alias names. GiGo is GiGo is GiGo. It all smells the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I agree with you about hiring a "company" to do research. It's a waste of money. However, I disagree with you on the second. It's incorrect. Pedigree charts submitted to the LDS, they will not make corrections to. They will only add your information. However, with Ancestry, the family trees (especially their newest version of family trees) are tied to the researcher who submitted it. You can contact that individual to correct information, and they can do it or not as they see fit (remember, your information might not be correct either!). Or, you can leave a comment on the record, giving what you believe is the correct information. As for their records and records abstracts, you can make corrections. If you find a name on the census transcribed incorrectly, you can correct it, and they will add that "version" to the search engine. You can even give additional information even if it's not on the census. And, you can make comments on the records, too.

I've got to say that though they are the big bad corporate giants in Genealogy, as a 40+ years' genealogist, they do have a darn good product, with some good safeguards. I have posted my genealogy there. But they're in protected tress, that I have to give permission for someone to access. And, they are not "dumped" into an undeletable group. I can delete the information at any time, should I wish to.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Yes, I can show you records THEY transcribed that has my ancestor and his son-in-law married in 1672. And I can show you records where they transcribed and completely bolloxed my grandfather name because the transcriber doesn't know the difference between the letter T and the letter Y.
Have YOU ever tried transcribing hand written documents? And if you have, are you really telling me you never made a mistake? I'd find that hard to believe. It's easy to spot mistakes when you already know what the name is. Try transcribing some names you're not familiar with and lets see how long it takes you to make a mistake.

Quote:
The Utah Holy Grail of Genealogy claims my copyrighted information belongs to them. I did not give to them. to a church or anyone else. They did not seek permission to use it. And they removed MY Copyright. I have yet to receive one penny compensation from their theft.
What copyrighted information is this?

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
What copyrighted information is this?
I'm curious to know the answer too. For example, a recipe which consists simply of a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted: U.S. Copyright Office - Recipes . So, I assume a list of names and dates would also not be subject to copyright. On the other hand, any commentary written using the writer's own words would be subject to copyright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy