Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:16 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,492,285 times

Advertisements

Anyone else have ancestors from Southern New Jersey?

Mine:

Ackley
Scull
Adams
Harris
Ford
Smith
Somers
Ramsey
Risley
Simkins
Jones
Bowen
Lawrence
Strickland
Baremore
Steelman
Tucker/Tooker
Doughty
Sooy

and many more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,694,749 times
No, I don't. But I used to live there!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,311,099 times
Mine were primarily in Monmouth County in the 1700s.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Which ones were in Monmouth? Some of mine were there before heading "south."

Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,311,099 times
Most of mine were the Dutch from LI that moved in to NJ before 1700. They married with the Scots and English. Jackson, Polhemus, Longsteet, Lane, Smith, Woolley, Allen, Drummond, Brown, McDowell, Lambert, Lamberson, Seabrook, Dennis, Leeds, Knott, Monfort and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head.

My second cousin married a Ford whose family was from Kentucky, and my kid married a Jones and divorced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Which ones were in Monmouth? Some of mine were there before heading "south."

Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Most of mine were the Dutch from LI that moved in to NJ before 1700. They married with the Scots and English. Jackson, Polhemus, Longsteet, Lane, Smith, Woolley, Allen, Drummond, Brown, McDowell, Lambert, Lamberson, Seabrook, Dennis, Leeds, Knott, Monfort and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head.

My second cousin married a Ford whose family was from Kentucky, and my kid married a Jones and divorced.
I also had Dutch from LI who moved in to NJ, plus Huguenots as well. I know that the LEEDS and DENNIS families ended up all over South Jersey.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:17 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,930,443 times
I have ancestors from all over South Jersey (it's also where I grew up).

Nicholson
Watson
Rexon
Dill
Samuelson
McLane
Whipple

Mostly in what is now Camden County & Gloucester County, but also down in Cumberland and Salem, and some over by the shore.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM

Cyanna, I just noticed that you mentioned the name Scull.

I found a possible link in my tree to Mr. John Scull from Absecon, Great Egg Harbor area, in the mid-1700s. At the time, this was still Gloucester County, NJ.

According to what I found, John Scull's granddaughter, Deborah Ireland, married a Nehemiah Nicholson in 1737. Then Nehemiah re-married in 1739. I found a newspaper article from 1738 saying that Deborah died while out on a canoe in the ocean in a storm, along with two children (not hers). Separately, I found a mention of John Scull's will, and Nehemiah Nicholson being one of the people who was to inventory his estate.

I'm still trying to connect this Nehemiah Nicholson to my Nehemiah Nicholson who was born in 1800. I'm thinking it's a grandson, but I'm stuck. But he must have been named after someone (who looks at a little baby and just pulls "Nehemiah" out of their butt?)

If you'd like links to the newspaper article on Deborah or the Scull will, let me know via PM or via your Yahoo group.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Cyanna, I just noticed that you mentioned the name Scull.

I found a possible link in my tree to Mr. John Scull from Absecon, Great Egg Harbor area, in the mid-1700s. At the time, this was still Gloucester County, NJ.

According to what I found, John Scull's granddaughter, Deborah Ireland, married a Nehemiah Nicholson in 1737. Then Nehemiah re-married in 1739. I found a newspaper article from 1738 saying that Deborah died while out on a canoe in the ocean in a storm, along with two children (not hers). Separately, I found a mention of John Scull's will, and Nehemiah Nicholson being one of the people who was to inventory his estate.

I'm still trying to connect this Nehemiah Nicholson to my Nehemiah Nicholson who was born in 1800. I'm thinking it's a grandson, but I'm stuck. But he must have been named after someone (who looks at a little baby and just pulls "Nehemiah" out of their butt?)

If you'd like links to the newspaper article on Deborah or the Scull will, let me know via PM or via your Yahoo group.
Yes, I dewscend from the SCULL and IRELAND lines

My g-g-g-g-g-grandfather on my father's side was Gideon SCULL, and his brother Abel SCULL is my g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather on my mother's side.

Daniel IRELAND is my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather on my father's side.

I'll go through my SCULL info. Also, post this at my group site. There are two SCULL family experts in the group and we even managed to save one of the family Bibles when it was auctioned on Ebay

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

We might be related by marriage (if I can establish my connection to Nehemiah).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy