Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times

Advertisements

Have you ever done something in order to better know and understand your ancestors and the world they lived in?

Some of the things I've tried or learned more about...

While living in an old ranch house in Simi Valley which was situated on land previously belonging to the Chumash, I found an old stone grinding stone. Since I also had lots of Oak trees on my property I decided to make acorn flour in the same manner as my Lenni-Lenape ancestors. Result - it tasted AWFUL!

While researchng my Irish immigrant ancestors I thought it would be interesting to make a traditional Irish food, so I made Irish Soda Bread. Result - wasn't too bad, but still nothing I would eat on a regular basis.

One of my D'Anjou ancestors was quite fond of using the trebuchet during seiges, so my husband built a smaller scale one for me when we lived in England.
Result - LOTS of fun, but made the neighbors a bit nervous

Somerled, progenitor of Clan MacDonald, is my favorite ancestors. He was my 25th great-grandfather. My husband, knowing how highly I revere this ancestor, contacted Thomas Yeudall of the world famous Claymore Armoury in Scotland, and commissioned an authentic and exact replica of my ancestors sword, which was presented to me on Christmas morning. The sword was created from the descriptions given in an ancient document by Clan MacEachern, the hereditary Swordsmiths to The Lord of The Isles. Unlike reproduction swords this one is made of the same high quality steel as the original and was smithed in the same manner. The weight and length are also exact and it is an actual sword, not a toy. http://www.claymore-armoury.co.uk/index.html

Last edited by Cyanna; 10-20-2010 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,299 times
You should be very proud of your husband for getting this sword made for you. What a special present.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM

160 posts, read 321,393 times
WOW! Cyanna, these things are great!! I have never tried acorn flour, thanks for letting me know not to! I am sure it was fun making it! or at least interesting!
I agree with you on the Irish Soda Bread, it's not bad. Although, I have never made it myself, I'm not good at baking bread. I think I might try to make some other kind of Irish food, I will have to find something to try. Thank You for the idea!
I am going to have to look up a trebuchet, but I'm sure if your neighbors were nervous it must have been fun!
The sword sounds amazing! What a wonderful Christmas gift!! Your husband sure loves you a lot!
Thank You, I never really thought of doing these things. I will have to try some stuff out. And WOW your "25th"!! Great-Grandfather??? I think I am up to my 7th, maybe and I was so happy about that, until now. HAHAHA!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Have you ever done something in order to better know and understand your ancestors and the world they lived in?
I found an old and authentic cookbook on Pennsylvania "Dutch" Cooking. Some of my ancestors were German Mennonites. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I plan to at some point. I've also read history books on Mennonites to better understand them.

I also visited a late 1800s house that some of my ancestors owned (actually, they were the original owners so it felt even more personal). I didn't know how the owner would receive me but I lucked out, he was very interested in the house's history and gave me a tour of it. Of course it had been fitted it with modern conveniences - the kitchen in particular was completely renovated. But it still had all the original doors and fireplaces and such (including pocket doors). And the basement was untouched - literally, it had a dirt floor. I half expected to see a ghost of one of my ancestors down there.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM

Cheryl & Dorrie - Yes, I have to admit that this was the ultimate gift and I don't think anything will top it, LOL! I am very lucky to have a husband who is so thoughtful and loving, not to mention brave, considering he has Campbell ancestry In a similar vein, we went to Saddell Abbey in Scotland, which was built for Ragnhild, Somerled's wife, and we had our marriage blessed there amongst the beautiful ruins and graves. It was a lovely ceremony which included a hereditary piper, a Reverend to bless us, and the local news reporter. Hubby also wore the full kilt ensemble

PA2UK - Yes, I grew up eating meals from an old Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook that belonged to my mother. My sister now has it. Does yours have a recipe with a rather interesting name of "Boy's Legs" aka Boova Shenkel? LOL! My mom used to make the Shoo-Fly cake and it was quite nice.
Visiting the old family house must have been a wonderful experience. I haven't yet had the opportunity to fly back to NJ or PA to do this, but plan to do so in the future.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Pa2uk

PA2UK, just noticed that you are in Manchester. How are you enjoying life in the UK? One of my sisters-in-law lives less than an hour away from you, in Leyland. She owns one of the most haunted medieval houses in the UK I was in Newcastle upon Tyne for 8 years

Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
I've tried to cook various ancestral dishes (Cuban, Haitian, West African) with various degrees of success. Sometimes I just go to restaurants, especially in New York, to satisfy my cravings.

I have always wanted to visit every place I know about that my ancestors have lived. I have not really gotten far though. Two of my countries I can't really travel to; many of them I do not know (need DNA knowledge that I don't have). I want to travel throughout Europe and see some of the cities/towns and even try to look up distant relatives, though I am not quite sure they're gonna want to connect on that level. It will be interesting to find out.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Somerled, progenitor of Clan MacDonald, is my favorite ancestors. He was my 25th great-grandfather. My husband, knowing how highly I revere this ancestor
Quote:
Cheryl & Dorrie - Yes, I have to admit that this was the ultimate gift and I don't think anything will top it, LOL! I am very lucky to have a husband who is so thoughtful and loving, not to mention brave, considering he has Campbell ancestry In a similar vein, we went to Saddell Abbey in Scotland, which was built for Ragnhild, Somerled's wife, and we had our marriage blessed there amongst the beautiful ruins and graves. It was a lovely ceremony which included a hereditary piper, a Reverend to bless us, and the local news reporter. Hubby also wore the full kilt ensemble

PA2UK - Yes, I grew up eating meals from an old Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook that belonged to my mother. My sister now has it. Does yours have a recipe with a rather interesting name of "Boy's Legs" aka Boova Shenkel? LOL! My mom used to make the Shoo-Fly cake and it was quite nice.
Visiting the old family house must have been a wonderful experience. I haven't yet had the opportunity to fly back to NJ or PA to do this, but plan to do so in the future.
During arguments, how often do you play the Battle of Glencoe card? And is that an automatic win?

And was your husband in Campbell colors at the MacDonald Abbey?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

I tease my Campbell hubby about that all the time, but I have no proof that he's a real Campbell -- The Campbell namesake that landed here was in the late 1700's and apparently moved into the wilds of Minnesota...

And to the OP -- I have Mennonite/Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch running rampant through my family tree. One of our dishes that we served a lot was creamed lettuce. Leaf lettuce and a little chopped onion coated in a dressing made from mayo, cream (or evaporated milk), vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. It was sweet and sour. There was never any measuring, just tasting. It sounds bad, but we eat it at every family gathering... my mom made it just like her mom who made it just like her mom.... and so on...

Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I've tried to cook various ancestral dishes (Cuban, Haitian, West African) with various degrees of success. Sometimes I just go to restaurants, especially in New York, to satisfy my cravings.

I have always wanted to visit every place I know about that my ancestors have lived. I have not really gotten far though. Two of my countries I can't really travel to; many of them I do not know (need DNA knowledge that I don't have). I want to travel throughout Europe and see some of the cities/towns and even try to look up distant relatives, though I am not quite sure they're gonna want to connect on that level. It will be interesting to find out.
Wow! You have a very interesting and rich mix of ancestry. I bet you've found some fascinating information. Which West African foods have you tried? I've gone to a small restaurant in Van Nuys called "Veronica's Kitchen" which serves Nigerian food, just so I could experience it. I've tried the Chin-chin (YUM!) and the Moi-Moi (also YUM!).

You'd be surprised at just how many distant relatives are thrilled to meet with another member of the family who they have never met or heard of Of course, you always get the odd one who is just cranky or not interested, but it's rare. Take the chance and see what happens

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
During arguments, how often do you play the Battle of Glencoe card? And is that an automatic win?

And was your husband in Campbell colors at the MacDonald Abbey?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

I tease my Campbell hubby about that all the time, but I have no proof that he's a real Campbell -- The Campbell namesake that landed here was in the late 1700's and apparently moved into the wilds of Minnesota...

And to the OP -- I have Mennonite/Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch running rampant through my family tree. One of our dishes that we served a lot was creamed lettuce. Leaf lettuce and a little chopped onion coated in a dressing made from mayo, cream (or evaporated milk), vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. It was sweet and sour. There was never any measuring, just tasting. It sounds bad, but we eat it at every family gathering... my mom made it just like her mom who made it just like her mom.... and so on...
My husband wouldn't have DARED to wear the Clan Campbell tartan at Saddell Abbey! Since he and I both also descend from the royal Clan Stewart he wore those colors. He would have worn Clan MacMillen, which he has more of in his bloodline, but the kilt company in Glasgow was all out of MacMillen, LOL!

Funny story though... during that visit we were staying at Torrisdale Castle where we rented the old gamekeeper's cottage, called Lephinbeag. We went into the nearby village of Carradale and stopped in at the Silversmiths to have a look around. I started talking with the woman who worked there and asked her if they forged swords there as well. She laughed and said "I saw the newspaper article about you this morning and ain't no ways I would sell ye a sword. I know yer a MacDonald and I just happen to be a Campbell!" We spent the next 15 minutes or so in friendly verbal assault, LOL!

The creamed lettuce sounds like coleslaw, just without the cabbage. I think I'd like to try it! Can you provide the recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy