Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...
Wow. You must be really, really old. Not to mention really well traveled, back in the day. To know something like that with such assurance.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
The OP's question reminds me of Biology 101. Anyone remember those fruit fly labs? You have flies with red eyes and short wings .... Geez, I forgot how it went! Then you make those squares with Bb bb etc

Anyway, the point is mix NDN and white and some of your kids may turn out white and some brown and some in between.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:37 PM

861 posts, read 1,123,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That should be "wanna-be" Native Americans. I have not met any Native Americans, Authentic ones, that is...that look white.
Same here.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
We live in different worlds, my friend. Where I live, there are a lot of NDN people and just as many breeds. I think there are 40 tribes here in Oklahoma. Some half breeds follow their native side, so skin color is not that big a deal here. At least for me. It depends on a person's spirit. I feel a kinship based on the person's heart, not their blood quantum or skin color.

There are a lot of native people who are very traditional, but you guys will never hear of our gatherings. That is why I love Oklahoma. It's nice to be around my own people. Where I can hear our traditional songs and hear our languages.

Take NAC for example, there are NAC meetings here all the time, but certain tribes do not allow non-NDN's, new agers, etc. And there's a reason for that. LOL.

Enjoy

Four Old Kiowa Songs - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Some half breeds follow their native side, so skin color is not that big a deal here. At least for me. It depends on a person's spirit. I feel a kinship based on the person's heart, not their blood quantum or skin color.
To follow up on that, in the mid-South and deep-South of the '50s and early '60s I was raised as "white" by my parents. Somehow, though, I never quite managed to fit in with my schoolmates. Come to find out, the values, beliefs and behaviors my parents taught me were Choctaw, not white. I was taught that I had "a little" Choctaw blood, when in fact both of my parents were half-bloods.

Imagine my surprise, and relief, to find all of this out. I also know the reason behind the "deception", and I believe I might have done the same.

-- Nighteyes (half Choctaw, 1/4 Scots-Irish, 1/4 German)

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Oh! Forgot something!

I agree with Redbird; being NDN is much more a matter of heart and soul than of blood. I also believe that, for most people, it isn't something that one can simply learn.

-- Nighteyes

Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
We live in different worlds, my friend. Where I live, there are a lot of NDN people and just as many breeds. I think there are 40 tribes here in Oklahoma. Some half breeds follow their native side, so skin color is not that big a deal here. At least for me. It depends on a person's spirit. I feel a kinship based on the person's heart, not their blood quantum or skin color.

There are a lot of native people who are very traditional, but you guys will never hear of our gatherings. That is why I love Oklahoma. It's nice to be around my own people. Where I can hear our traditional songs and hear our languages.

Take NAC for example, there are NAC meetings here all the time, but certain tribes do not allow non-NDN's, new agers, etc. And there's a reason for that. LOL.

Enjoy

Four Old Kiowa Songs - YouTube
Sorry I couldn't rep ya on that. Makes me miss OK. Goot post haits!

Last edited by Fullback32; 09-21-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 AM

24 posts, read 53,132 times
Seems like everyone wants to claim the Pocahontis princess mythology. It also doesn't hurt that many white's began playing the race card when the US government started handing out retribution cash to anyone claiming Native ancestry. Let's see how many white people come out of the closet with their Black ancestry when the government begins handing out 40 acres and a mule. Same goes for Blacks, many of whom claim Native ancestry when actually they are just mixed with White. I won't deny there aren't Blacks and Whites that have Native ancestry, it's just not as common as so many want to claim, is all.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious View Post
Seems like everyone wants to claim the Pocahontis princess mythology. It also doesn't hurt that many white's began playing the race card when the US government started handing out retribution cash to anyone claiming Native ancestry. Let's see how many white people come out of the closet with their Black ancestry when the government begins handing out 40 acres and a mule. Same goes for Blacks, many of whom claim Native ancestry when actually they are just mixed with White. I won't deny there aren't Blacks and Whites that have Native ancestry, it's just not as common as so many want to claim, is all.
Like myself...I have Seminole Indian in me...

But I don't claim it...

I don't claim my seminal side, cause I don't have enough in me for it to make a social differance...and at this stage of my life, I primarily just conscentrate on trying to be a decent human...

The older I get, the more I realize most are just a 'nation withen themselves'...

There's really no two people alike in style, personality, beliefs or habits, and or how we process information...

Like the Jews, pretty soon I think people who claim 'Indian' will be so in name only...or distant heritage...

Being 'black' is probably the hardest trait to hide, cause it's such a dominant gene...

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Maybe the trick is to confirm your geneology if you want to confirm who you are. I couldn't tell you what people that I came from other than my mom is Polish. I haven't done my geneology yet. LOL

Just wondering, do the people that claim to be Indian lay that claim on family stories or because they have gone back and found out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy