Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times

Advertisements

How many 8th cousins or 7th cousins once removed does the average person has because Ive only tracked down one and I would like to track down long-lost family.My 8th cousin was related to my grandfathers stepmom who was the mother of my Papas half-brother.My papa's half brother was John Roe Ivanhoe who was a prominant dentist in either the New Orleans or Atlanta areas.I know he went to dental school in New Orleans but I never got to meet him.I'm an Ivanhoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
How many 8th cousins or 7th cousins once removed does the average person has because Ive only tracked down one and I would like to track down long-lost family.My 8th cousin was related to my grandfathers stepmom who was the mother of my Papas half-brother.My papa's half brother was John Roe Ivanhoe who was a prominant dentist in either the New Orleans or Atlanta areas.I know he went to dental school in New Orleans but I never got to meet him.I'm an Ivanhoe.
I don't think an "average" can be calculated. It all depends on how many children each generation had. You could potentially have hundreds of 8th cousins once removed.

I apologize that my brain hasn't yet kicked in this morning (not enough coffee perhaps?), but I'm a tad confused about whom you're seeking ... 8th/7th cousins means your shared ancestor lived about 7 generations ago and yet your talking about John Ivanhoe who is only 1 generation back.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Okay well someone who was related to John Roe's mother told me she was my 8th cousin or 7th cousin once removed....I apologize.....i just dont know much about geneology but I appreciate your help

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
You will have to a lot of researching on the lines of aunts & uncles, and then their children, and then who their children married, and so on down the line.

I found a 2nd cousin once removed yesterday. He is the great grandson of my grandaunt, sister of my maternal grandfather. I will NOT be including his photo in the family album, and I do not want him to know we are related. He might hope a train (hobo style) and show up at my front door! LOL!...

Ferdinand Weldon Lupperger...
Ferdinand Lupperger Mug Shot

Old 12-29-2010, 09:14 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I found out that my Dad's boss is my Mom's second cousin twice-removed.

I also found that my Grandmother and his wife's sister's husband, other than being brothers-in-law, are related three or four different ways (through some marriages of cousins and stuff). You find some interesting things. I'm not sure I've gone so far as to trace 8th cousins, though. That would take a long time.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Westerntraveler ... don't apologize!!!!! It was my foggy brain and not your question.

If you're interested in finding distant relatives, such as other 7th or 8th cousins, start tracing your family tree if you haven't already. It can become a bit more complicated when there are step-parents and half-siblings, but it's possible to do.

Figuring out xth cousins and how many times removed can appear complicated. Your first cousins would be the children of all your father's siblings including your Uncle John's children. All of the children of you first cousins would be second cousins to each other. All of the children of second cousins are third cousins to each other.

So, for example, let's say that Karen and Sarah are first cousins, that Karen's father and Sarah's father were brothers. Karen has a son Mark and Sarah has a son Bob. Mark and Bob are second cousins. Mark has a daughter Debby and Bob has a son Tim. Debby and Tim are third cousins. And so forth.

On a chart, something like this:

Karen's father ---- brothers ---- Sarah's father
Karen ---------- first cousins ----- Sarah
Mark --------- second cousins ----- Bob
Debby --------- third cousins ------- Tim

The "removed" part means there is a generation or more between cousins. Mark is a first-cousin-once-removed to Sarah because his mother Karen and Sarah are first cousins. Debby is a first-cousin-twice-moved to Sarah because her grandmother Karen, two generations back, is a first cousin to Sarah. Debby is a second-cousin-once-removed to Bob because her father Mark and Bob are second cousins and there's one generation between Debby and Bob. (Probably as clear as mud :-)

If you plug in your family starting with your father and John instead of Karen and Sarah, you can see what I'm trying to describe. Or plug in your great grandfather and all of his siblings instead of Karen and Sarah and chart towards your generation listing all their children and their children's children etc., and you'll see how you can potentially have hundreds of distant cousins.

Out of curiosity, is John the dentist the one who passed away just a couple of years ago and whose wife was Mary Alice?

Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks.I just know he passed away a couple a years ago from cancer but i dont know his wives name.He had a office in Martinez,Georgia.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
There is at least one man who claims i am a cousin 9x removed because we had a common Grandfather 400 years ago. I decend from the common ancestor's daughter who did not marry one of ther her uncle's three sons or have issue with any of them.

I don't have cousins as my parents did not have siblings, but I do have a plethora of aunts and uncles as their parents both came from large families as did most of my ancestors. My ggg.grandgather had 18 children and 4 wives - two of which were sisters. The sisters gave him 18 children and two step-children; eleven lived to maturity, married and had issue. This family was a mess.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM

interesting i bet all families have some interesting things in their past

Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
The Legacy genealogy program can be customized to show degrees of relationship which each individual in the charts. I'm sure other programs probably have this feature as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy