Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,589 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this one a bit shorter.

An agnate 2nd cousin had a Y-DNA test done, which reveals what my father's and grandfather's would be, as well as our common great-grandfather York. It confirmed that we are closely related to a large group by our surname that lived (and some of this name still do) in North Carolina, although I still have not been able to identify our great-great-great-grandfather, who was likely born in NC before heading for Tennessee. But I think it has been just as helpful to be able to see the results of other Yorks who are not closely related, so I can eliminate their ancestors as possible candidates for my own.

I also discovered that four cousins of varying degrees through my maternal grandmother's father's Dennis line have also joined the Dennis project through FTDNA, and although the project is, at this time, smaller than the project for my York line, there are charts showing which participants (those who choose to make the information public; it's not mandatory) belong to which families, so I have been able to pick up two more generations on that line. The later generation, I had suspected, but had not been able to tie my great-great-great-grandfather to his father.

Besides searching FTDNA's projects, I have been looking at data uploaded to ysearch.org, which I have found moderately helpful. Is anyone familiar with a similar site for mtDNA?

Karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,976 times
I had DNA ancestral testing done with Ancestral Origins. As I grew up, my parents told me over and over that our family was descended from Scottish, Irish, and Native American ancestors. I'm fairly European-looking myself and have written genealogical proof in my possession that I have at least one Native American (Comanche) ancestor, so I didn't find this so hard to believe. However, when I received the results of my test, it startled me to my core. It turns out that this fairly average white boy's ancestors were actually mostly from East Asia, Korea, India, and Japan. And none of my ancestors appear to be from any part of Europe. The test results I received are color-coded and I have a hard time differentiating red from green, so I might not be interpreting them correctly. I don't look the slightest bit Oriental, but that's what the test results apparently said. I can certainly see how Asian immigration might tie in with my Comanche ancestor (crossing over the land bridge between Asia and North America long long ago), but the apparent complete lack of European ancestry simply floored me.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priruss357 View Post
I had DNA ancestral testing done with Ancestral Origins. As I grew up, my parents told me over and over that our family was descended from Scottish, Irish, and Native American ancestors. I'm fairly European-looking myself and have written genealogical proof in my possession that I have at least one Native American (Comanche) ancestor, so I didn't find this so hard to believe. However, when I received the results of my test, it startled me to my core. It turns out that this fairly average white boy's ancestors were actually mostly from East Asia, Korea, India, and Japan. And none of my ancestors appear to be from any part of Europe. The test results I received are color-coded and I have a hard time differentiating red from green, so I might not be interpreting them correctly. I don't look the slightest bit Oriental, but that's what the test results apparently said. I can certainly see how Asian immigration might tie in with my Comanche ancestor (crossing over the land bridge between Asia and North America long long ago), but the apparent complete lack of European ancestry simply floored me.
I cannot find out how large the database is for Ancestral Origins, but the web site mentions "hundreds" of populations and fourteen anthropological regions.

Sorry, but I am skeptical that their results mean a lot. They give more information about the pretty map than they do about the actual test itself. I cannot tell if it uses autosomal DNA, Y chromosomes, or mitochondrial DNA. Can you tell us more about the test?

Have you done any research on your actual ancestors?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I cannot find out how large the database is for Ancestral Origins, but the web site mentions "hundreds" of populations and fourteen anthropological regions.
That tracks with the information I have about them as well. The testing was a gift, so I didn't really put in too much due diligence about it when I had it done.

Quote:
Sorry, but I am skeptical that their results mean a lot. They give more information about the pretty map than they do about the actual test itself. I cannot tell if it uses autosomal DNA, Y chromosomes, or mitochondrial DNA. Can you tell us more about the test?
Not really. I was provided with the same public links about their testing methodology that you have found and little else. The DNA collection process consisted of a cheek swab, if that helps. The "pretty map" I received is almost useless to me as well because it is color-keyed, and the indicators that purportedly show where your ancestors originated from are rendered in colors that I find extremely difficult to tell apart (I have red-green Daltonism). My normally-sighted landlord was able to tell me that most of the "high positive" and "normal positive" indicators confirm the results I specified in my original post.

Quote:
Have you done any research on your actual ancestors?
I have efforted this in the past, and am making a new effort now. There is a book called Allgood Genealogy published in the early 1960s that lists me and my immediate family and some of their ancestors. I found another copy of this book on Amazon (my original was lost in a house fire years ago), and have ordered it. That and family folklore are pretty much all I have at this point. I have not pursued additional options such as Ancestry.com at this point, but that may change as well.

Last edited by priruss357; 12-13-2012 at 04:12 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priruss357 View Post
That tracks with the information I have about them as well. The testing was a gift, so I didn't really put in too much due diligence about it when I had it done.

Not really. I was provided with the same public links about their testing methodology that you have found and little else. The DNA collection process consisted of a cheek swab, if that helps. The "pretty map" I received is almost useless to me as well because it is color-keyed, and the indicators that purportedly show where your ancestors originated from are rendered in colors that I find extremely difficult to tell apart (I have red-green Daltonism). My normally-sighted landlord was able to tell me that most of the "high positive" and "normal positive" indicators confirm the results I specified in my original post.

I have efforted this in the past, and am making a new effort now. There is a book called Allgood Genealogy published in the early 1960s that lists me and my immediate family and some of their ancestors. I found another copy of this book on Amazon (my original was lost in a house fire years ago), and have ordered it. That and family folklore are pretty much all I have at this point. I have not pursued additional options such as Ancestry.com at this point, but that may change as well.
Ah, I see.

I would suggest pumping your living relatives for all they know before you hit Ancestry.com. I never talked to my grandmother about her family and I deeply regret it. My parents did not know much. Even if you find out that family stories are not true, it will be fun to hear them. I wish I had recorded my parents, but I did not and it's too late now.

You can rummage around in this forum for many great hints on how to get started, including info on the different computer programs for organizing your tree. Don't even think about starting with paper. It gets complicated quickly.

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...-software.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...-software.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...-starting.html

Also, your Allgood book will contain errors. They all do. Document everything before you take it as gospel truth, and when you document, record it in your program.

When you get the basics on your parents, grandparents, and as far back as you can go, then choose a time when you can devote a lot of it to the computer. Ancestry.com has a free two week trial, and it helps to be organized before you start the clock running on it.

Be forewarned: genealogy is addictive!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,027 times
My father passed in 1990, would it be possible to obtain dna from a ring ? Need it for genealogy ( no males) to hook up with the Slaughter family' Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Brenda S. Hicks

Old 11-03-2013, 04:34 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda Hicks View Post
My father passed in 1990, would it be possible to obtain dna from a ring ? Need it for genealogy ( no males) to hook up with the Slaughter family' Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Brenda S. Hicks
I'm not expert but it sounds unlikely, especially with the standard ancestry DNA kits they send out, which are designed to collect saliva samples (you spit into a little tube), not skin samples.

I'm assuming you're talking about the yDNA test? I recommend you try the autosomal DNA test - it doesn't trace as far back but it will still include data from your paternal line and may still allow you to connect with other descendants of that branch.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not expert but it sounds unlikely, especially with the standard ancestry DNA kits they send out, which are designed to collect saliva samples (you spit into a little tube), not skin samples.

I'm assuming you're talking about the yDNA test? I recommend you try the autosomal DNA test - it doesn't trace as far back but it will still include data from your paternal line and may still allow you to connect with other descendants of that branch.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 PM

To PA2UK,, thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy