Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I know what the OP asked, but I was responding to what you answered, which had nothing to do with whether Google searched it.
The subject header is "can google search family trees on Ancestry.com?" and my answer was "no."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The subject header is "can google search family trees on Ancestry.com?" and my answer was "no."
You're right. There was a no. It was the following sentence (the majority of the post) that had nothing to do with the original question.

I stand corrected.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times
YES YES YES, I accidently stumbled on this yesterday. Ancestry lets Google link to a modified person page on your public tree, including your fotos etc, and from there you can access anyone on the tree via this Google/Ancestry link. Try one of my violated people by googling "harry R Rodgers Ancestry Haverhill", and you will be on a modified version of my ancestry page. Ancestry says they now own my fotos and documents, so can't complain. I have now made my trees private, but probably won't affect these cached pages.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I've searched for people on Google and come up with Ancestry tree results, but if I go directly to Ancestry and try to access a person on someone's family tree, it says I have to pay. I'm not sure why.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRV64 View Post
YES YES YES, I accidently stumbled on this yesterday. Ancestry lets Google link to a modified person page on your public tree, including your fotos etc, and from there you can access anyone on the tree via this Google/Ancestry link. Try one of my violated people by googling "harry R Rodgers Ancestry Haverhill", and you will be on a modified version of my ancestry page. Ancestry says they now own my fotos and documents, so can't complain. I have now made my trees private, but probably won't affect these cached pages.
I only just recently made my tree private and I don't find cached results from my tree when I do the same kind of google search so this is either very recently added or there's some other setting to allow/enable it.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
You can use Google to search a specific domain with the following format:

Quote:
site:example.com John Smith
That will return all the results for John Smith from example.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've searched for people on Google and come up with Ancestry tree results, but if I go directly to Ancestry and try to access a person on someone's family tree, it says I have to pay. I'm not sure why.
Ancestry.com probably has an internal linking scheme that allows Google to index all the possible names in their database and the page you are seeing. Using the name in the the title alone would produce a result on Google and it probably appears on the page itself. If the name is rare like many would be it could easily surface to the top of the results.

Unlikely but the other thing they might be doing is cloaking which is generally a bad idea because it will get you banned from Googles index. A webmaster can easily detect Googles bot that indexes pages and serve Google real content. A normal user gets completely different page like a subscription page. On the lower right of most results is link for Googles cached version which is what was served to Google, try that. If it differs from the page you get I'd suggest reporting them to Google.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-24-2011 at 04:37 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRV64 View Post
Ancestry says they now own my fotos and documents,
I doubt they are claiming that because they can't, copyright needs to be legally transferred. I understand there is some complications where genealogies are concerned but the law is straightforward with original photos and documents. What you have done is granted them what is commonly referred to as soft license to use and display those photos, the limits of what they can do with them will be in the registration agreement. You still retain full copyright.

Note that any original work like a photo is copyrighted by the author is automatically copyrighted by the author and it runs a considerable length of time. It's the author's lifetime plus 70 to 125 years depending on a few factors. After the authors death the copyright is automatically transferred to the heirs.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I doubt they are claiming that because they can't, copyright needs to be legally transferred. I understand there is some complications where genealogies are concerned but the law is straightforward with original photos and documents. What you have done is granted them what is commonly referred to as soft license to use and display those photos, the limits of what they can do with them will be in the registration agreement. You still retain full copyright.

Note that any original work like a photo is copyrighted by the author is automatically copyrighted by the author and it runs a considerable length of time. It's the author's lifetime plus 70 to 125 years depending on a few factors. After the authors death the copyright is automatically transferred to the heirs.
That's correct: Terms and Conditions - Ancestry.com

Quote:
User provided content
Portions of the Service will contain user provided content, to which you may contribute appropriate content. For this content, Ancestry is a distributor only. By submitting content to Ancestry, you grant Ancestry, the corporate host of the Service, a license to the content to use, host, distribute that Content and allow hosting and distribution of that Content, to the extent and in that form or context we deem appropriate. Should you contribute content to the site, you understand that it will be seen and used by others under the license described herein. You should submit only content which belongs to you and will not violate the property or other rights of other people or organizations. Ancestry is sensitive to the copyright of others. For more concerning copyright issues, view our corporate policy. We will not edit or monitor user provided content, with the exception that, to promote privacy, an automated filtering tool will be used to suppress, and omit from display, information submitted to the tree areas of the site which appears to pertain to a living person. We also reserves the right to remove any user provided content that comes to our attention and that we believe, in our sole discretion, is illegal, obscene, indecent, defamatory, incites racial or ethnic hatred or violates the rights of others, or is in any other way objectionable.
Corporate Policy: Ancestry.com - Ancestry.com Copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy