Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times

Advertisements

One of DH's grandfathers was in the third wave up San Juan Hill. Unfortunately his horse was blown up and out from under him. While he suffered no apparent physical damage, he spent many years in an asylum.

In DH's geneology research, we are distantly related to Queen Elizabeth and Helen Keller. But I don't think the former will invite us to tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Learned just the other day that a great aunt lived through the San Francisco quake in 1906. Worse than the quakes was that the gas pipes burst causing fires.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
My wife's father spent the entire war in German headquarters, [middle] in Russia during WW2. The building was U shaped with a walking path in the center. Hitler walked by my father in law's window every day alone when he was there at HQ. Opa said he could easily have shot him as he walked by and he actually thought about it. He decided that it would do no good as there were other Nazis that were just as bad that would take over. As well he knew he would be shot if he tried it.

His phone rang one day and when he picked up it was Hitler asking for some general or other. When Opa said, "He's not here". Hitler said, "Then go and get him, Dumkoptf." My father in law hung up on him. I guess his claim to fame is, "I hung up on Hitler"!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
i have 4 ancestors who died in the Civil War for the confederacy, another 3 who definitely fought, and another 3 who were "involved" to some extent that is not clear (one was a teamster, for example, another fought in only a small skirmish).

one of my direct ancestors signed the "Declaration of Independence", that established the United States and started war with britain. That is my family's biggest "brush with history".

it is possible, and believed by some, that this same ancestor was also a direct descendant of John Knox, who founded the episcopalian church. According to wikipedia, "This latter claim of Knox descent though ancient in origin is long disputed and without primary documentation." Make of that what you will; this claim was made in the 1770's, about 200 years after Knox died, and is unlikely to ever be resolved.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-08-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
ione of my direct ancestors signed the "Declaration of Independence", that established the United States and started war with britain. That is my family's biggest "brush with history".

it is possible, and believed by some, that this same ancestor was also a direct descendant of John Knox, who founded the episcopalian church. According to wikipedia, "This latter claim of Knox descent though ancient in origin is long disputed and without primary documentation." Make of that what you will; this claim was made in the 1770's, about 200 years after Knox died, and is unlikely to ever be resolved.
Are you talking about Henry Knox? If so, he wasn't one of the signers. Here's the list. Was it one of these folks?

Index of Signers by State

Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Are you talking about Henry Knox? If so, he wasn't one of the signers.

Here's the list. Was it one of these folks?

Index of Signers by State
you misunderstood what i wrote, but the signer is john witherspoon.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-09-2011 at 04:43 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
a Distant Uncle was the Commander of the American Troops at the Battle of Bunker Hill.....he was the one who [allededly] said "Steady boys. don't fire til you see the whites of their eyes."

Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
My ancestors killed Rizzio, secretary to Mary Queen of Scots. They also took the king hostage. They were decended from Viking raiders. Not a pretty picture. I am also related to William the Conqueror, Robert the Bruce, and Hugh Capet. I am sure they witnessed some amazing events and had some big brushes with history.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
One ancestor allegedly hid the Regicide Judges in the 1600s.

An ancestral aunt was hung in New Jersey during the RW by a notorious gang, that operated out of bogs, called the Pine Tree Robbers. She escaped unharmed as did the children.

The most amusing, is the cousin who was probably suffering from Dementia when he penned our ancestor rode with Robin Hood and his ragtag gang. Neither scientists or historians can agree whether or not Robin Hood was anything more than a good story -- for in those times the ballad was not sung, it was spoken. Unfortunately this unsubstantiated family tale made its way into the enclopedia of state history along with his US Senator uncle, who did exist.

I love family stories. When Internet genealogy first began with the fledgling Rootsweb nearly everyone had a ancestral settler family with three brothers who were separated after arriving in the colonies -- never to be heard from again -- except, of course, for one brother. .

Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM

374 posts, read 812,442 times
One of my 3x great grandfathers was a lieutenant in the Georgia infantry and was wounded at Antietam. Another was a captain in the Arkansas Confederate cavalry and had his plantation and house torched and oldest son hanged in his front yard. They rebuilt the house, and it still stands in Baxter county. And one of my great great great uncles was the first man hanged in Stone County for shooting someone to death at a barn dance. Oh yeah, and my mom did Bill Clinton's make up for him when she worked at a mall in Jonesboro and he was governor and about to make a TV appearance. He just walked in the store and asked them if they could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy