Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

If I put a family tree on Ancestry.com's website and designate it as public will Google's search engine have access to it or is it limited only to all Ancestry.com members? After having gotten so much benefit from Google I feel I want my family tree available to them.

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
No. ACOM's family trees are only viewable by members.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
It can be done through google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pagkkdgfbobphh

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No. ACOM's family trees are only viewable by members.
You don't have to be a member to search the trees, but do have to register to access the data. I'm not sure that you need to have a paid membership, but you do have to register. At least that's the way it used to be.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
You don't have to be a member to search the trees, but do have to register to access the data. I'm not sure that you need to have a paid membership, but you do have to register. At least that's the way it used to be.
To search on ACOM you don't need an account (info in search results will be limited) but ACOM's family trees will not appear in search results for general search engines of the internet like Google, which is what the OP was asking.

With a free "guest" account, you can only view a tree if the tree's owner invites you to have access (even with public trees). So if you see something in the search results you'd like to have access to, you need to contact the tree owner. Only paid members have automatic full access to public trees.

Ancestry.com - Ancestry Guest registration

Quote:
Registered Guest accounts have been put in place to allow members to:

Access certain free databases (1880 U.S. Federal Census Index; WWI Civilian Draft Registrations; and so forth)

Use the Personal Member Trees feature in any of the following ways.

Build a personal member tree, whether from scratch or by uploading a GEDCOM file
Share your Family Tree with family or friends
View another user's Family Tree if you received an invitation from that tree's owner
Respond to someone who contacted you, requesting permission to view your Family Tree
View any record linked to a Family Tree to which you have been invited, provided the person owning that tree has some kind of paid account on Ancestry
View any photos attached to a Family Tree that you have been invited to view
Quote:
It can be done through google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pagkkdgfbobphh
That actually appears to search FamilySearch.org, not Ancestry.com. It says it takes info FROM Ancestry.com and uses it to search FamilySearch.org:

Quote:
This extension takes the vital information from an Ancestry Family Tree person page and searches FamilySearch.org using those details.
Sounds like it's a tool for members of ACOM who also spend time regularly searching FamilySearch.org - so you don't have to manually enter the names/vital data every time you search FamilySearch.org. Sounds very useful though, I've installed it but I can't figure out how to use it yet.

But even if it did search ACOM, it still can only be done with an extension installed - ACOMs family trees are still not going to show up just by popping a name into Google's normal search.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Many public libraries have ancestry.com availiable free to users at the library.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Many public libraries have ancestry.com availiable free to users at the library.
As do most Mormon's Family History Centers.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

But the library edition does not include family trees!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But the library edition does not include family trees!
I think it includes the World Family Tree.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
To search on ACOM you don't need an account (info in search results will be limited) but ACOM's family trees will not appear in search results for general search engines of the internet like Google, which is what the OP was asking.
I know what the OP asked, but I was responding to what you answered, which had nothing to do with whether Google searched it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy