Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,384,747 times

Advertisements

Have you been looking at the 1940 Census? I have really been working it and have filled some gaps in my life and that of my Dad. It's a pain until you learn the ropes, but well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM

224 posts, read 828,571 times
Can someone tell me how you find anything on that census? It doesn't appear to be in alphabetical order. I have been trying to look up my family their town has 19 files with an average of 68 pages in each file. So do you seriously have to view every single page to find them? Why is their not a way to search for names?

On a separate note does anyone know if there is a place to look at the 1880 census for free? Thanks for any help! The genealogy sites are giving me a headache and I am finding mistakes in what other people have left behind related to our family tree.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
Can someone tell me how you find anything on that census? It doesn't appear to be in alphabetical order. I have been trying to look up my family their town has 19 files with an average of 68 pages in each file. So do you seriously have to view every single page to find them? Why is their not a way to search for names?
Because it takes time to index millions of names. The census was only just released in April - it will take months with hundreds of thousands of people working on it to index all the information. Ancestry.com have stated that the census will be fully indexed before the end of the year. I think they have 4 states indexed now - FamilySearch.org have 6 indexed, last I checked.

If your state(s) aren't indexed yet, there are tools that can help narrow down your search if you have a bit more information about where they lived. You can use directory records to find a specific address from in or around 1940 and then use the cross street lookup to find. Or if your ancestors hadn't moved between 1930 and 1940, you can get the address from there or use the 1930 to 1940 district conversion tool. These are both available on Ancestry.com but they are the same tools you can find here too: Unified 1940 Census ED Finder

Quote:
On a separate note does anyone know if there is a place to look at the 1880 census for free? Thanks for any help! The genealogy sites are giving me a headache and I am finding mistakes in what other people have left behind related to our family tree.
I believe FamilySearch.org has all the US censuses, though it looks like they only have the index for 1880, not the images/original docs: https://familysearch.org/search/coll...ection/1417683

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:

They are slowly getting it organized.

Some of my ancestors around DC at the time already are searchable in the database by name.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
The 1940 city directories that I need are not online, so I'm waiting for the index to the census.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 PM

224 posts, read 828,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
They are slowly getting it organized.

Some of my ancestors around DC at the time already are searchable in the database by name.

That's good to know they are working on it. My family has a lot of unanswered questions that this census might provide answers for.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
That's good to know they are working on it. My family has a lot of unanswered questions that this census might provide answers for.
If you know an address or can search the directories and get one, its not hard to search, just time consuming. I was really annoyed at my newly divorced grandfather. I had his address in 38 and 39, but I guess to celebrate finally dumping grandma he decided to move. After searching LOTS of pages in downtown LA, I found his address with someone else there. Bahhhhhh. I may wait until it searchable by name.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...nd-1940-a.html

There was a gap in my youth where I didn't know where I was actually living. Now I know I was at the "new" place earlier than I had thought.

My Dad had "disappeared" between 1935 -1942. I found he had actually left in 1934 and surfaced in the 1940 Census.

Both long stories

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...-you-hope.html

More of the above.

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...time-load.html
Nope, no problem.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Yes, you have to search each page line-by-line. It will be years before it is indexed. My understanding is that the indexing is done by volunteers.

I don't know any way to get the complete 1880 other than from the National Archives. Some of the other posts that I have not yet read may have a better answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy